Monday, June 24, 2019

When Mushrooms Are Secretly Slime Molds.

 You may remember these little "mushrooms" I cataloged out of the front yard stump a few weeks ago.  Well,  turns out they are not really mushrooms.   Rather they are a close "look-alike" cousin to mushrooms...  called Slime Molds.    How cool!

see he spores? 

With the recent rain the last few days,  there has been a re-blossoming of a couple of them.   I just acidentally opened up one of our books and discovered their true names.  Chocolate Slime Mold sounds kind of tasty. (though it is way too small to eat.)



The cool thing about the "brush-like" structures is that you can actually blow the spores off of them.
They actually looked like mini puffballs. 





There was not much of an example of the "Wolfs Milk" and I still am not sure about the white stuff.  I may be the Tapioca Slime mold.   ( Tapioca kinda looks like slime normally....)

Not sure of this is the Tapioca Slime
mold.
Just thought I would add some names to the faces of the mushrooms...  oops..  I mean,  Slime Molds in the front yard.    Thanks for topping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails