Monday, July 1, 2019

22 Miles Of Biking In Muscatine.

The heat has slightly relented to a "cool" 85 degrees.   But the Death Sun is still out there charring our skin and baking our brain.  Still,  we managed to bike 22 miles today at Muscatine!   (It was NOT easy...)   The remainder of the day will be staying inside, in our 600 sq ft. apartment with the air conditioning blasting.   I think after biking 22 miles in the Iowa Death sun deserves it.

But what to say about the trip....  Well,   this time I made it a goal to capture my very own picture of the Dogbane Beetle. ( Obsession?   Uh,  no.   I just like pretty things...  especially bugs.)  If he last post did not make you wonder: "How can a gem like this exist in the natural world?"  Then there simply is no hope for you.   Go back to being dull and boring and never finding happiness again.
Dogbane Beetle.
So difficult to get a close-up. 


Ok,  That is a little harsh. ( It is meant for a joke.  Haha!... Uh....  Moving on.)  But seriously,   the 4th dimension is all around us if you take a little time to find it.   And with that discovery comes joy.   So check out the things you take for granted.
Monarch Butterfly

Milkweed Beetle. 


 There was a full spectrum of colors today in the Dogbane and Milkweed plants along the trail.   I mainly focused on the Dogbane Beetle, but there were Lots of Butterflies,  Bees and other colorful  beetles that are often overlooked.

First,  the Soldier Beetle was there, but was impossible to capture.   Being not my primary focus,  I did not invest too much time on him.
Milkweed Beetle, another angle. 

Then there was the Milkweed beetle.   Of the many I saw,  the only one who stood still long enough for a pic was rather dull in color.   Normally they are a BRIGHT red color.  And check out those antennae!



And finally,  the Dogbane Beetle.   My last post I had to "borrow" a professional pic from the Internet.   (Possibly someone with better camera equipment than myself.)    The Dogbane Beetle is small,  shiny and very fast!    They never sit still for a portrait.

I ended up drafting Cheryl for Beetle Herding Duty while I struggled with the focus and background.  Out of  the MANY pictures I took,  only a few were actually in focus.   Note to future self:  Taking a Dogbane Beetle's Picture in full sunlight is virtually impossible with your current camera.  The shell of the beetle is just too reflective.





But I ended up getting a few of them.   They are so colorful and such and achievement that I want to show ALL of them.  But that would take up too much of the space.  I figured a few of the ones as they crawled around on Cheryl was enough.


After our ride in the sun,  We headed to Tee's for some burgers and sundaes.   This time I had the fore-thought to make them a cool tip out of a dollar bill.   I hope they enjoy it.


Looks like more of the same coming up this week.   Hot, Humid,  Sun....  maybe a few storms.    We shall see.   In the mean time,  I have been enjoying our bike rides... even though they are in the heat.   It sure beats working.   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails