Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Running, Hunting, and Baking With A Subaru.

Clusters of Oyster Mushrooms.
Cheryl had so much fun finding those Golden Oyster Mushrooms and baking up a Pizza... that we had to go back to get the remaining pins.  Off to Coralville!

Cheryl runs her 7 miles. 

Cheryl did her usual 7 mile run this morning.   The temps were in the upper 70's, but quickly rose to the unbearable mid 80's   Luckily, she only ran the usual 7 miles and not a long run.

While on the trail, however,  we passed the Golden Oyster tree that was covered with old mushrooms several weeks ago.   This time,  there were lots of bunches... but they were all just a little past their prime.   I picked a couple of bunches to bring home, just in case....  But Cheryl had other ideas.


From mere "pins" to clusters in one
day! 
Each one about the size of a hand. 
She wanted to go back to the tree where we found them yesterday.   What a difference a day makes!   The small pins had ballooned up to a  decent size.   We picked all the ones that looked ready.   In the same area, there is a log that had the oysters growing on it as well.    It had every form of the mushroom, from old and black to young and tiny.  I cleared off the ones that were perfectly ripe and left the rest.  I'm sure there will be more tomorrow.

Mushroom Pizza's are the Best!
Bags of goodies.  
So, for the second day in a row,  Cheryl made us a pizza.   Fresh home-made crust with our choice of toppings.   And LOTS of mushrooms.   We still have two bowls of them on the kitchen table.  Whatever we do not eat, we will take to the park and inoculate some of the dead trees down there.   With a little luck, we might get a cluster growing in our own neighborhood.   And since no one else is likely to know what golden oysters are.... OR if they are edible, we will have them all to ourselves!    Yeah!
Older cluster on the left,  See the
difference?  The young ones look better


And now on to the Subaru.   Just like I mentioned before, what would normally take 15 minutes has taken me an entire week to complete!    I specifically talking about the Front Differential fluid change. 

Torx... (star) bit. 
The Star bit.  (Or Torx Bit... for  people who speak "mechanic".) was in fact, a T 70.   It arrived today, and I was in the mood to get things done.   I originally planned on doing it on Wednesday, but Muscatine was calling,  the clouds were blocking the sun, and the stars appeared to align for me.  I leveled up the Subaru and got to work.
Drain out the old oil. 

Drain plug. 
The bit fit nicely,  and came off with a little effort.   After that, it was just like changing the oil.   I torqued down the drain plug and filled it up with the recommended gear oil.  It really was that easy.  (Most things ARE... if you have the right tools!) The only thing that was not as planned, was the crush washer was too big... Or I should say, the new one was too small.

clean off the "metal" from the
magnetic rain plug. 
Oh, yeah!  The plug is magnetic for a
reason. 
This did not stop me from  changing out the old one on the oil pan though.   I figured I might as well change the oil while I was level and propped up.   So,   new oil in the front Differential,  New oil in the read Differential,  New Transmission fluid in the transmission.  New oil in the engine.   I rotated the tires..  (As a side note, I discovered a couple of nails in one of the tires.   Down to Reggie's Tire for a quick fix!)   That one tire was really irritating me with a slow leak.   I'm so happy I discovered it this time around. 
Looks like I will be reusing the Old
crush washer. 
Topped off and ready! 

Whew!  That is a lot of junk to stack up in a three week free period.   And wouldn't you know it will have taken the entire three weeks to do it all.  Sometimes I wish I could just do things and they would be easy.....  so Cheryl would not have to worry and I would not have to suffer through sleepless nights.  The last thing on the agenda, before our next Pearson project, is cleaning our the Engine bay.   I don't know how much time I will invest in this, Since Iowa is a rather dusty state.  But,  I like keeping Subie as clean as I can.  Both inside AND outside.  The Rust may have to wait until nicer weather comes.   And a longer gap between projects.   We shall see how things work out. 
The reason for all this pandering.  Subie's 300,000 mile anniversary
is quickly approaching! 


Thanks for stopping in!.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails