Sunday, April 30, 2023

Running With Dogs.

I did not run today.... Because of rain.   But yesterday!   I ran 6 miles and felt Great!  With a Capital "G".   

I ran through the Parkside Petrified Springs.  I did not stop for Mushrooms... But I did stop for Dogs.  ( At least the dogs would would let me pet them.) And that go me thinking....

In the Petrified Springs park,  there are many dog walkers along the path.   And even though I try to focus and not stop for any distractions while on a run,  I will stop to pet a tail-wagging dog whenever I get the chance.  Sometimes I even talk to their owners.  

Kind of weird.  I mean,  A total stranger approaches you while you are walking your dog and stops...  Pets the dog.  And then continues on his run.  Sometimes barely knowing your even holding the other end of the leash. 

Not having a dog,  I wonder ( usually after the fact)  what that must be like.   I mean,  Dogs are family!  Right?  You probably would not let a stranger walk up and hug your kid while you are right there with them... ( at least you probably Shouldn't!)  Perhaps you can get away with that behavior if you are a little hunched over, gray haired lady with a walker.  But NOT if you are a Male...  Between the ages of 35-55... walking through a wooded area... Alone! With Glasses!

He's wearing  GLASSES! 

OK, maybe the glasses bit is a little over the top.   And with Glasses on adults being ubiquitous,  it seems like adding them into the mix  would not add any character.  Glasses  already have enough stereotypes categories to fill.   Glasses  = Nerds!  Glasses = Academics.  Glasses = Old people.  Glasses = scientists.  Adding in :  Glasses = "Creepy Person!"  Doesn't seem to set you apart very much.  Especially since Nerds, Scientists, "College-educated Librarians" and Old People are already Creepy  enough!  But I digress!

Cute items temper the mean look...
I solidly fit within the "Serial Killer" demographic.   And I am painfully aware of this fact every time I go out in public... alone...  Without my "lovely Item" to temper the "Creep factor."   But some how... People let me pet their dogs.  Why?  

Try wearing these!

Perhaps for the reason that dogs, unlike small children, come with a healthy face full of teeth!   And they bark...  Usually very loudly.   Sure, kids can scream and cry, but lets face it.   Kids are always doing stuff like that and after crying "wolf" so many times, non-parents tend to tune them out.   Therefore,  Parents are far more vigilant when it comes to protecting kids.   But not so much for dogs. 

Um...Guys?   Ice cream trucks?

Or perhaps it could be that dogs are a better judge of character than kids are. Give kids some candy and they will jump in the back of your ice cream truck to who knows where!  But dogs are a little more cautions when taking treats from strangers.   Believe me!  I have tried.  (Giving treats to Dogs... Not kids!   I better get to my point before this gets too dark!)   

He just wants to get to know you.

Dogs have a secret weapon called a nose.   I think in addition to smelling fear, ( and bacon!)   they can also smell if a person is "good" or not.   ( Or at least if the intentions are honorable)  At least that is what I would like to think.   Then again, there are always those dogs they simply do not like me.  And I don't have the time on my runs to make the effort to make friends.  ( otherwise, I would!)  

Bottom line,  Dogs are great!   Man's best friend!  And I love them all!  Even the ones that threaten me and bark like Banshees ( Do Banshees "bark?")  Loud noises! You get the drift.  I don't believe there are any evil dogs...  Only bad owners that have mistreated them in some way. If given the chance,  Dogs will become loyal companions and faithful friends.  And Family.  

Just ask anyone who has ever owned a dog in the past. 

As for me.   I will continue to stop and pet the pooches whenever they allow me.  Not only because I love to share the love.   But it also gives me a legit reason to stop on the long runs.  And I will give all of the dogs the credit for helping me out on a long run.  

Thanks for stopping in.



2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Dogs are great judges of character. Whenever I go places with Charlie I always have people ask if they can pet Charlie. We dog owners like it when our dogs are admired most of time. It is pretty simple as that.
I'll be running in Pets in about a month with some friends if all works out correctly. At least that is the plan.

Sounds like you had a very pleasant time there!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I always greet dogs too! Very good reasons to stop for a bit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails