Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Subjective Subject of Blues and Ragtime Music.

First,   Disclaimer:   This is all my opinion.   I fully acknowledge this and understand that one man's noise is another man's music.   That being said... let's begin.

I like music.   I like a variety of music.   However,  I would never say I like All music.   And sometimes I find certain genres simply earsplitting.  (Think: Rap Music)

But mostly I can at least find something in most every other genre.   But today I was introduced to a brand of music that simply irritated me.

Perhaps it was because my coffee had not kicked in or it was simply too early...  But the guy next to us at the Farmers Market was playing music while we set up.   Playing music during the operational hours is a no no.   But they old man next to us must think the rules do not apply to him.  Either that or he thinks set up time is the perfect time to blare his tunes to everyone.

I don't think this is real music....
Now if he actually played decent, mainstream music... this might not be a problem.   But he seems to like "fringy" stuff.  Last week it was Roy Orbison.  (And not his "famous" songs)   This week... it was Ragtime/blues  music.   (Or:  Noise!  As I would call it.)   I did a search on youtube for this music.  Normally I don't mind blues...  and I actually like certain ragtime songs.   But this!

Cannon Jug Stompers Found the noise!
I finally found the only band that played this music.   The Cannons Jug Stompers!   How this band manages to perfectly meld Ragtime AND Blues into a cornucopia of noise is beyond me!  I will NOT post a link to their videos/music on this blog.   The sooner I wipe the "ear-worms" from my head.. the sooner I will be able to sleep at night once again.

Someone should tell him...they DO!
Mostly, I'm annoyed that this guy was not obeying the "rules."   And everyone else was too polite to call him on it.  And thus this is the hidden flaw in polite society.   When one person decides everyone else can "screw off" and no one wants to be a jerk to tell him to stop.  Heck, I like Barbershop Quartet music...  and I know it is an "acquired taste."   Yet you don't see me blaring it from my rusty Chevrolet!
Or use them as an excuse?
And has this not happened to all of us at one time or another?   We wait patiently in a long line...when it comes time for us to be served, someone either asks or cuts in front of us as if we did not matter.   I personally LOVE the middle age lady who claims she is in a hurry because her children are in a hot car and is it possibly to cut in front of you.  What are you going to say in polite society?   "I'm sorry, but your children will have to wait in the hot car an additional five minutes as we check out ahead of you."  ( Though I would love to say that.)   I know my brother would...  sometimes I envy the Genther side of the family for their frank and forward personality traits.
Whether it is true or not, we let it slip and then fume about it later on our blogs.  Or maybe it is just me.  Anyway,  perhaps next week I will blare some heavy metal outside the Subie...  or better yet!   KPOP!
Ok,  I feel slightly better now.  Cheryl did not like the music either. (two weeks in a row now!)   Sorry for the rant.  But maybe blogging is better than therapy. ( at least it is cheaper.)    Hopefully tomorrow I will have a better post and happier times to chat about.   Until then,  thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails