Sunday, January 19, 2020

Ice And Cold Make For Hard Biking And Running!


Yesterday,  we attempted to hit the trail with the Bike and Cheryl....  It was around 20 degrees with a seriously gusting wind.   I had my doubts, but I knew if they had plowed the trail near the river, we could do it. 

No ducks or geese...
But Cheryl wimped out.  Yes Cheryl!  "Too Cold and Windy!"  was her complaining.   It was true that the wind was so gusty that all of the birds had fled the lake.   And there was a very real possibility of  a Wind Chill freezing your face.   But as long as she did not complain hat she "could not run" for the rest of the day... then I would allow her to go to the Bookstore. 


Much colder....
So, after spending all of our Christmas money on Magazines and Ice cream,  we headed back home to enjoy the rest of the afternoon in the warmth of Wellman.  There was always tomorrow....

And slippery.
Well,  Tomorrow came...
  Today!  And it was COLDER!   At 3 degrees,  Subie froze up again and did not want to start.  You know it is cold when Subie hesitates to turn over. 


The roads are still a little icy, but we made it fine.   They even plowed most of the parking lot near Trueblood Trail.  However... there was still plenty of Ice!  On the road AND the trail/sidewalk.   We decided to check it out this time instead of turning back immediately. 

Candy-Coated ice covered snow...
Break  through and slide....
Well,   Cheryl mostly walked because the snow was covered in a thick layer of crusty ice.   As for me biking.   Ok,  I'll admit I did my share of "complaining"... with some colorful words.   (It is my process of "Angry Motivation." ) But I saddled up and rode all the way to the end of the lake.   I overheated twice and my lungs were on fire breathing that ridiculously cold air.  Perhaps it was the Cold I was getting over...  Or just the cold air I was forgetting how to deal with.   Either way,  Cheryl suggested we turn back after the Wind at the end of the lake kicked in.   It was plenty strong enough to ruin any experience we would gain. 
A little origami. 
A few pelicans...



So... Back home again!   Cheryl is resigned to wait until warmer temps arrive.    She can't run on Ice.  And I certainly can't bike in it!   Looks like health and fitness are on hold for a bit.

One of my favorite models. 
So...  I have been trying to occupy my time folding a few things.   I go a request from someone at work for a cat.   There certainly are a lot of models out there for Origami,  but I like the one from Hoang Tien Quyet. 

Avoid cycling on Ice...
Hope everyone is staying warm today.   If you live further north than Iowa... I do not miss that cold or wind at all!    At least you can bike in the summer here in Iowa.   When the Sidewalks are covered in Ice,  all bets are off.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your black cat is very nice as are your roses! Keeping busy helps the day go by faster! :) Ce careful on the ice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails