Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Running, Rain, Amanitas, Honey Mushrooms, and William Shakespeare...?

Running in the misty rain. 
 A rainy, misty day today.  At least the stormfront is removing the heat and humidity...  Hopefully.

Cheryl ran her normal 7 miles, but the runs continue to be tough.   Especially in the 70 degree 100% humidity.  Even I began to overheat while riding the bike.  Eventually,  the heat has to relent...  eventually...  Right?

But the Mushrooms seem to be happy in this weather.  I'm betting the over hot, overly dry summer has left them eager to sprout up as soon as the temps dip below 90 and the rain softens the ground.
A False Saffron Milk cap. 


  I have been digging up a number of mushrooms and keying them out with the "Mushrooms of the Midwest" book.   I find the Key most helpful.


Amanias!


Cheryl is excited. 
Today,  The Amanita rubescens was on full display.   They pop up in the same place where we find  Penny Bun Boletes.  We missed the Boletes last week, but saw a few of these guys poping up. Today,  there were young, mature, and everything in-between.   Very pretty and perfect looking.  I did not stop to see if they were the true 'Blusher' Amanita, but they certainly could have been .   I guess you have to scratch them to see if they blush.  If they do...  They are Edible.
The look like Shaggy caps when
they first push through. 

That being said,  I'm not eating an Amanita!   First:  You have to cook it .... Thoroughly!  And many Amanitas are DEADLY!  One mistake and it could be your last.

Very pretty when fresh. 
Still,  Very pretty!  I take pictures of the pretty mushrooms even if I don't plan on eating them.  Besides,  there are plenty of Edible mushrooms out there that are much easier and safer to Identify.


Honey Mushrooms.  Kinda Old
specimen. 
Note attached gills and veil on
the stem.  Also found on wood.
Those Turkeys have no regard for
trail  workers... 
Like this Honey Mushroom.  (Armillaria mellea )  I heave read and heard that these guys are safe to eat, but either upse your stomach, or taste slightly bitter.   The problem is they are parasitic on trees and are very prolific.  And besides,  Safe does not always mean "Good" to eat.     I have sampled more than my share of bitter or "sharp" mushrooms,  Buggy, or just too tough to chew.   Not the most desireable traites when looking for "choice edibles."

Cheryl with the Puffball. 

Finding Honey mushrooms in the Coralville woods is cool though.  They were in a small cluster and I did not readily ID them like in Bemidji.    I had ot key out this older sample to figure it out.   After searing around,  I am mostly positive I got it nailed down.

Doing her Hamlet Routine. 
It continues to rain.  And I have to make some Hot Choco soon. I'm not sure how long the outdoor cats will wait until they brave the wet and come for food.  One has already recived his snack.  The other two should be around soon enough.  I'll hook them up when they arrive. 

In the mean time,   Hope everyone is staying nice and dry.   And lets hope for that Fall weather to finally come.  Thanks for stopping in. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails