Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Stockings, Puffballs, And The Monarch Migration In Iowa.

Running in the Heat
Bright sun,  Humid weather.
Yesterday,   it was very hot.   Cheryl tried her best to squeeze out 5 miles, but it was tough.   The humidity was thick and stifling.    So best to cut things short and head back for Stocking making.

Shade does not help much. 
More Stockings. 
The stockings continue to pluck along.   We did several yesterday and 7 today.  It is difficult to say the exact number, because several of the ones we did yesterday will be going out today.   ( Custom orders and stuff...) But I am very happy to slowly be easing into the season and getting our "stocking leggs" back under us.
Colored embroidery this year...
Let's Bike!   Burn off the Nervious
energy....
About mid-afternoon,  Cheryl started to get antsy, and so did I.   Seems if we cut the morning run short, our bodies and habits we have created retaliate.   So why not head out to the Kewash trail for a bike ride....  Just like old times!


I have to admit, I was actually interested in the mushrooms rather than the exercise.   After several days of rain and a couple days of humid weather, I was hoping things would be popping up.
Small Giant Puffball.
I grab all three! 
I almost was disappointed...  almost.   Low and behold!   Three "small" Giant puffballs were growing out of the side of one of the hills.   I know there are puffballs in the area, and last year... We missed them.  I was very happy to find them before they turned this year.
Cheryl missed them the first
time around. 
Good thing I can
still see white. 
Cheryl seems to be unable to see white and brown when we hunt mushrooms.   She focuses on oranges, yellows and reds better than I do.  Together, we are able to find a variety of species.



Fresh inside. 
Easiest Mushroom Cleaning EVER!
Peel and slice.....
The Giant Puffball is slightly differant from the smaller versions in texture and taste.  I know you have to add the flavor to them,  and they have the texture of tofu.   But with a little garlic and onion, they can be very tasty.   I made several small sandwiches out of of the slices I did not eat directly.   Not bad.   Sure, it is not on par with the Chicken of the Woods...  But I'll take it.

Frying them up with Garlic
and Onions. 
Butterfly Migration. 
And lastly,  the Butterflies have had a great year this year.  First it was the Painted Ladies and the Red Admirables. ( Even in Europe!)   Then it was the Whites and Yellows.  ( Cabbages and Sulphurs...)   And now it is the Monarchs.




The newspaper even noted that they were migrating now.   On the Trail, they were flying all around is as we rode by various branches.  I tried to snap Cheryl with a plume of butterflies around her, but they all came out blurry.
Only a small sample of
the numbers out there! 
But I did manage to capture a very small section with several Monarchs resting on branches.   Any wider and the butterflies woudl have been lost in the foliage.  Too bad I do not have a better camera on my phone.   At least I was able to carry it along for the picture opportunity at all!

Hope everyone is having a fine and lazy day... Especially if you live in the heat wave belt... like Iowa.  Thanks for stopping in, and keep an eye out for those Monarchs heading to Mexico.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails