Friday, April 2, 2021

Origami Artist In Training.

A Bird in the Hand....

Cue the Rocky Training Montage!    

Well,  Cheryl has gone and signed me up for that Origami "Workshop Folding With the Masters."  Also known as "Foldfest." or something.   So for the last two days, I have been in "training"...  Folding a few models to get my Dexterous  fingers and Analytical mind back in shape.   I have to admit I have let myself go...  folding-wise. ( We shall leave it at that.)  And wanted to work on some simple models under my belt so I would be prepared to fold some more complicated models when the folding kicks off.   Also,  I did not want to look like an absolute idiot in front of the folks I admire so...

Folding paper is an odd thing.   I'll admit it is a niche skill that has a few "real world" applications. ( Actually,  a LOT of real world applications....  But not too many jobs call for people to fold a paper tiger.) At least I have been able to remain motivated to fold for the last couple of days.   Add in that the cold weather was BRUTAL for the last two days. ( Frost!  Frigid, biting wind.  Sub-freezing temps!) These are good days to stay inside.   Why not fold while we are doing nothing?

I'm impressed with the parrot.   And I also tackled the simple but complicated water buffalo.  Both models are from Hoang Tien Quyet.   He will be folding a bird for the seminar.  As always, they look easy, but shaping them is always a challenge.

Back to reality...  Cheryl has been running a solid 7 miles everyday this week.   She is planning on 10 miles tomorrow.   Her goal is to run  the Klompen Stomp at Pella this year;  A 5K run through the town and tulips.  Similar to me,   She does not want to embarrass herself and look like a first time runner at the event.

Cheryl does not want to embarrass herself at Pella.

In the second year of a pandemic,  this will be the first real run we have done in over a year. I'm curious to see how people handle it.   Lately,  the main description of the In-Person racing has been that "All of the FUN will be removed from the race event."   Meaning: no water, no gathering, no spectators, no treats at the end, no beer, no Brats, No donuts! No socializing, Masks must be worn before, after and DURING the race. ( try to breathe through a mask while running...) and no after party award ceremony.   I wonder how they will prevent spectators from watching... 

But Pella seems to be bucking the trend.   We hope!   There is only one way to find out.  

In the mean time, I will continue to prepare for the Apr 11th gig.  I'm still not sure how it will be done.   Zoom call?  Video conference?   Or just a one time video just for you.  We shall find out and try to solve any technical problems as they arise.   Other than that,   I hope everyone has a great weekend.   Iowa is supposed to warm up over the next few days.   Perhaps I will be able to  get out there and color the sidewalk in the park.   We shall see.   

Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like your parrot! It must be a Zoom or Teams thing...it will be fun for you! Better line up some good stuff to show off! Yeah for a run...our niece next door runs...we wave to her I think she does 5 miles a night. She works a desk job and running is her thing!

Val Ewing said...

I could never fold even a paper airplane. My dad tried to teach me over and over. Not the usual kind of one, it was a two part thing.
I bet the Pella run will be nice. I've been there, but not for the tulip fest.

I like the parrot, that is really quite good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails