Friday, April 30, 2021

Showing Love To Subaru.

I always note how much I love working on the Subie.   Unfortunately, (Or Fortunately.... Depending on your perception..) Subie's do not break down too often.  Hooray for Japanese Engineering!   I do try to resist the urge to brag about Subie's reliability and simplicity.  ( Ok, it is a 2003 Legacy.   Today's Subies may be a little more high tech.) I would not want to bring the wrath of Karma upon myself. 

But the trip to Michigan reminded me that Subie requires love now and then.  During all of 2020,  the only thing we did was change oil, buy new tires, and swap out a bearing that "may" have been going bad.  Other than that... for an entire YEAR!  Subie has started up reliably and never complained.   At least in a drastic way.    Andy, ( Cheryl's brother and the Family Subaru Mechanic who introduced me to Subaru.) says Subarus will still work even when they are broke.  True!  As we limped Silver Bullet all the way to Iowa City on a Blown head gasket. ( I still marvel at that feat!)  

What is causing the grinding?
Brake Tools and Parts!

So,  as mentioned before,  Subie has been "dropping hints" as to how he has been feeling lately.   Most Noticeable was the Broken Alternator bolt.  However,  upon arriving home,   Subie began to have trouble idling.   Also, there was a Noticeable grinding sound coming from the front brakes.  After a little research,   we discovered that we replaced the brakes Three Years ago!  Hmmm...  Perhaps the shoes are a little worn?   Cheryl orders new shoes, bolts, and rotors.. figuring we will replace everything whether they need it or not.    

Replace air Filter.

The next day,   the Check engine light throws a code that says the Air Idle Control Valve is "low voltage".   While waiting for the brake parts, I  remove the Air Idle Control valve.  The AICV is VERY dirty!    I take it and the entire Throttle body apart and spend the afternoon cleaning it with cleaner and a toothbrush.  

Cleaning up the Oil Overflow.

While doing that,  I notice the Air Filter is dirty as well, with oil on it. ( this never happens.)  

Then I note the pools of Oil in the engine bay.  Turns out,   I possibly overfilled the Oil on our trip home from Michigan.   Hey!  It said it was low!   And I simply added half a quart.   However,  it was also cold when I took the reading...... And the rumble was not from the lack of  oil, but the Alternator bolt that was about to break.  So... Blunder One for Ethan.   Sorry, Subie.  

Replace the front rotor.
Shiny and new!

Another perk of having a Subaru is that it puts up with bad owner's like me.    So... Time to make up for being a jerk.   When all of the parts arrived mid week,  replaced the brake shoes and rotors.   (At least on one side.... the Passenger side was giving me problems, so I have to work on the rotor later.)   

New Alternator. New belt.

Yesterday,  I disassembled the air intake, belts, battery, and alternator and cleaned out the entire engine bay.   I was not thoroughly prepared for this, so all I had some soapy water, toothbrushes, rags, and lots of paper towels.   I mopped up as much left over oil as I could.   I changed the oil and refilled it to it's proper levels.   

Missing threads.
New alternator looks better.

I swapped out the Alternator and the Alternator belt.   The belt looks pretty good still, but the Alternator was damaged as I tried doing the Highway Recovery.  ( See the first 1/4 inch of threads that had been ground down? )  

Not to bad, but replace anyway.

IN the end.  New Brakes!  New Alternator. New Alternator Belt. New Air Idle Control Valve. New Air Filter.  Cleaned out the Engine bay from dust and oil. ( as best as I could with Soap and water) And Changed the Oil.  Subie is back to himself once again. 

Additional projects:  I have to replace the gasket from the  throttle body, swap out the Rotor on the passenger side, and, if I feel frisky,  I really should hose out the rest of the engine bay that I could not reach from the top.   ( We shall see if that happens...) Cheryl is also suggesting doing the back breaks while I am at it.   Sounds good to me!  After the tough nut on the front brake bracket,  I would like to make sure that I can still remove the back ones as well.  ( I know they were heavily treated with anti-seize... so they should come off.) Just make sure you don't wait three years before you look at them again. 

In other news,  Tomorrow is the First Farmer's Market in Muscatine!   Cheryl and I spent the day setting up the display  in our yard so we can get ready for the actual event.  Being the first one of the year,   we decided it is probably best to stay small and send out feelers for the product.   Soap will be the main item,  but there may be other avenues in the future.   We shall see how it goes.   And if things go well...  We may upgrade to Washington or Davenport in the future.   We shall see. 

Car repair posts are always long.   And does anyone really care?   I mean:  "Your car broke.. and you fixed it....  Good Job!" Not very exciting for those who do not conquer their Subaru "challenges."    But this is my blog and I read it to give me confidence in the future. (You fixed the brakes before Eth.... You can do it again.  Oh,  And the bracket bolt on the passenger side will be a pain in the butt... just like last time." )   See! 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgb5898ahz95yNdKwyRL5VwEfzBW0RE9JqKxE39Qz-wIVPMi1CGcuYcHdgvQWy_oH0P6ol_klHRWYELjdO1LWcGnrXNsqKB5cFhFntnBSd_FEGdyBOj3HPKVRG9AjTOcM0xTZMpsMGnONWP/s1600/DSCN0765.JPG
Pain in the Butt Brake Bracket.

I need to help myself overcome my fears.  That is just the kind of "mechanic" I am...  ( Do no harm... first!)  Thanks for stopping in.  (Especially You!  Future Ethan.... I know you will.)

3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I worked on a 1995 Chevy Cavalier that took me 200K miles then gave it to a friend whose daughter drove it into the ground by never changing the oil. But that was pre computerized parts like they have now.
Great job in repairs, engines are a mystical thing for me. I know the names of parts but never understood the mechanics of an engine. I always depend on a mechanic now. Hubby used to fix his tractor, truck, and anything else that broke down on the farm.
My neighbor is like you, he repaired his wife's van and his car. Nothing seems to be an issue for him to fix.
I can build one heck of a fence though and AI a mare! ")
Machines are mysteries!

L. D. said...

My son in Maine drives a Forester. He really likes it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You could come here and work on the 59 Desoto! Good job on your own vehicle repairs! Cheryls tent looks great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails