Thursday, March 31, 2022

Pelicans and Snow.

The parks service burned the area around the lake.

 Wind and cold continue, along with small bouts of rain.   Not very nice conditions for outside activities.   However,  There are some things that seem to like the current weather conditions.  The North American Pelican!

I have been trying to capture these guys for a while now, ever since they showed up.  But, they are about as evasive as the Bald Eagles that are leaving for the Season.  It does not help that I have a short range camera for my picture taking.   Or that I forget the Camera on certain days when the pelicans are plentiful!

But yesterday, I managed to have Camera in hand and, although not in the numbers seen previously, I did manage to capture a few on the river and on the wing.  

The problem with getting a really great shot is that the pelicans like to hang out on the other side of the river. OR they are obscured behind lots of brush and trees, so my Camera fails to focus on the actual bird.   Add in that Cheryl likes to run fast and not wait for me to get a good shot in the open that is close to our side of the river..  Well, you see the challenge.  

On this particular day, the Birds were mostly flying overhead.   Even barely above treetop level, it is a challenge to get any good shots of them.   I have to fiddle with the camera, turn it on,  Point and shoot.  Sometimes I get luck if I take a dozen shots.   Many times, they simply turn out blurry. 


There are lots of folks out there with Rifled Telescopic lenses on tripods.   I'm sure they are loaded for bear... Or birds...  When they take their pics.   You can always tell who are the serious bird watchers by the CANNON ( Literally and figuratively! ) around their necks. 

This morning, we were greeted with snow!  Thankfully most of it has melted  by now, but I was shocked at how much actually fell overnight.  I thought that we were only going to get a few flakes in the air.   Fancy my surprise when the car was covered with over and inch! 

Luckily, the trail was open and Cheryl was able to complete here 7 miles.   She is currently working on her Pearson Project requirements for next week.   I have to train over the weekend for my project, so next week will mostly be about scoring.   Good times. 

As for me,  most of my week has been trying to nail down the Origami Ibex.

Ibex... Missing the Cape.

( or Markhor...  depending on the horn spiral.) I finally have the pattern memorized,

Markhor.  More accurate.

( I don't have the pattern  in my origami notes) So I'm working on a wet folded version.   So far, it is looking pretty good. 

That is about all for now.  Thanks for stopping in!  And I will hopefully have some fun and excitement to blog about over the weekend.    Stay warm!

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You got snow! Looks like winter! I am certain I could never hold that huge lens steady enough to take a photo:)

L. D. said...

I got pictures of a flock of pelicans a few years back on Lake Saylorville. I see people with photos of them on Red Rock but I don't frequent the lake much so I don't see them go through.

Val Ewing said...

I haven't seen a Pelican yet, but I haven't actually been out looking. Hopefully one of these days I can actually get away to hunt for cool bird sightings.
That is a monster lens ... phew.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails