Sunday, July 4, 2021

A VERY Happy 4th Of July For Cheryl. Firecracker 10K Success!

Happy 4th of July!   Happy Birthday America.  Hope everyone got to eat Hotdogs, Drink Beer,  Visit Relatives, and cook outside as all good Americans have traditionally done for years. ( Or so I have been brought up to think...)  We spent the Morning traveling to Moline, Illinois.  Where Cheryl ran the Firecracker 10K.   It was a Great Day! 

For those of you unfamiliar with the Quad Cities,  Moline is just across the Border from Iowa.  IT is just over an hour and a half away from us, so we decided to skip the Hotel and simply get up early this morning for the drive.   It was a beautiful Morning!  With the Sun a bright red in the Horizon. 

The packet Pick-up was smooth and easy and Cheryl and I did the usual stuff as we prepared for kick off time.  (Bathroom, Beer tent ID, Explore the area.) It did not seem very long before they were lining things up and getting ready for the start.  Possibly so the heat of the day would not settle in before the runner's began. 

I miss racing.   Even though I am not the one  doing the running.   This race traditionally has a prayer at the start ( similar to the "Coach's Prayer" we used to experience in High school.)  Followed by the National Anthem.  I really miss that sense of Unity that seems to have been absent over the last year and a half.   I know I probably am repeating myself from the Kewash trail run, but it is just worth mentioning  how events like races bring people together in ways that can not be defined on paper.  Just my 2 cents.

After the Anthem, the Cannon was ready to BOOM!   (Another tradition I look forward to at Moline.) No little old ladies were hurt in this year's cannon blast. )  

Cheryl ran by me so fast, I barely caught her at the start.  I told her I would be on the left side, so of course she heads towards the middle.   However, I did manage to "catch" her sneaking by.  

With the distance only being a 10K, I had to hurry up the hill to the 5 mile mark.   As it was, I barely got to the hill when the 5K-ers were already running by.  I guess that guy ran a record pace this year.   Still, I do not like being behind the power ball.  I did not have to wait long for Cheryl to appear. 

She was feeling far better than 2018 at this point in the race.   I like capturing her as she smashes through the 5 mile "Wall."   This year, no one was in front of her to hide her from the picture.  

As I ran along side her down the hill, I was almost able to hang.   ( Gravity was working in my favor.)  I counted 16 women total in front of her, but a couple females passed her on the downhill.  As I fell back, I huffed and puffed to the finish line in hopes to get her crossing finish. 

 

Hurray for Chubby, out-of-shape me!  I was able to navigate the crowd and get there ahead of her.  She finished with a respectable time.  We grabbed some water and headed to the Beer. 

Another Tradition of this race is the "Flying Elvises"  Moline chapter.  ( Reference to the Movie "Honeymoon in Vegas.")  Every year they seem to add another Elvis!  This year was a Special one as they added a "Priscilla" to the Mix. I kidnapped the entire group and extorted a picture from them with my Runner.  While they were there, a number of other fans did the same thing.  It must be tough being so popular at the races.  ( But they seemed to enjoy it.) 

We picked up the  Results slip and discovered Cheryl had placed first in her division.   This meant we had to stick around her her "Trophy" and Bragging Rights.   Just as a reminder, back in 2018, her tracking chip did not work properly and she did not get any time or read out at all.   IT was rather disappointing, however, she did not have a good race that year anyway. But we will never know because it was like it never happened. 

But this year...   Bragging Right!  A Trophy for the Mantle ( if we ever have a mantle) and a renewed running spirit for the future.  It appears getting older suits her.  At least in the running department....  As the other competing "Old Ladies" are either not hanging on to their youthful running  and vigor, OR are simply not showing up at races anymore.   Either way... Cheryl is the WINNER! 

Back home now and after a brief power nap, I was able to gain enough energy to clean up the mushrooms, sort  and organize some chalk, and write this blog post.  ( Blog writing takes so long these days...)  I should probably add that I have noticed that the Finches, who ignored my bird feeder all winter, have suddenly noticed and started destroying my sunflowers!   Hiro has noticed as well.   Normally I do not encourage the cat to stalk and scare the outside birds, but then again... My Sunflowers!  

Just kidding.  If the birds enjoy the seeds, I'm ok with that as the flowers will eventually die and be composted anyway. We may as well enjoy the Colorful birds in the meanwhile. 

Oh!  And the fireworks were spectacular as always. ( except for last year... Stupid Covid.) With the Hackberry Tree gone, we were able to have a totally unimpeded view of the show last night.   I shot a bazillion pictures, but I will try to post the best GIFs as I end this post.  Hopefully the Internet will hold long enough to get all of the GIFs I have for this post.   Motion pictures are so much more fun than simple stills.  If a picture is worth 1000 words, video must be worth a million, ( or so..)   And no one wants to read 1 million words from me.  So I shall let the Stop Motion do the talking.  Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah Cheryl! First place that is great! The Elvis group is a hoot!

Val Ewing said...

Great day! I missed this post too. Back in my day of road racing there were no 'chips'. Everything was recorded manually. I should run a 5k. I may even win the old senior senior...oldest age group.
5k's were my favorite.
Well done with the racing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails