Thursday, July 22, 2021

Beat The Heat Of The Week!

The last two days have been torture!  High humidity and high temps.   Not even in the 90's, but it certainly feels like it.   Cheryl and I are debating if the Farmer's Market tonight will even be worth the effort.  ( The Jury is still out on that one.)  We will have to see when the time comes. 

But right now, I'm trying to stay cool inside.   Yesterday, I went out and drew a little in the park, and was so dehydrated, I had to come home earlier than expected.  I did manage to finish a couple Winnie the Poo drawings to match the previous doodles.  Winnie the Poo is easy to draw and does not require many colors. So on days where the heat might make me quit early, I select a drawing that I can finish up in a short amount of time.  No one wants to be stuck out there for three hours simply because their ambition got the better of them...

As for today, Cheryl ran the hills in Coralville as a training run for the BIX.  The BIX is held in Davenport in the hottest part of the middle of the Summer.  I think they postpone the start time until noon, so the solar radiation has been maxed for your running comfort.  Cheryl says that even though the race is only 7 miles long. ( Or Shorter! For the people who don't like to run,  there is a 1.5 K distance.) The late start time and steep hills at the beginning make it an exercise in misery.  Yet she signs up for it anyway.  Can you say: Masochist! 

So after a short 5 miles up the hills in the heat, we hit the woods to look for some Mushrooms.   It has not rained recently, and the mushrooms seem to be a little shy about showing themselves.  We managed to find a small cluster of Golden Oysters and a few smooth Chanterelles.(Cantharellus lateritius) 


The Smooth Chanterelles are usually covering the hill area where we find them, but today, only a few were popping up.  And it did not look like they were eager to show up under the Iowa Death Sun.   But, We will take what we can. 

Not much else to chat about.  I'm basically killing time until Cheryl decided if it is worth attending the Market.  She had originally talked me out of it, with several compelling arguments!  But I must have talked her into considering it afterwards.  It is a typical phenomenon where Cheryl and I disagree on something, but end up flipping our positions after we talk about it.  It's almost like we are not married!

Hope everyone is beating the heat today. (IF it is Hot and Humid in your area of operation, that is...) when I was in the Army,  ( At Ft. Benning, Georgia! In the Summer of '96!) The Drill Sergeant would make us drink water.... randomly. The entire Canteen!  And we would chant, "Beat the Heat, Drill Sergeant! Beat the Heat!"  Ah the memories.  If there is one thing the Army is good at, it is making you feel happiness over feeling uncomfortable. For that reason, I would not recommend the Army for anyone. ( Ok, maybe a few people.  It had its moments....) 

Stay cool!  Stay Hydrated!  And thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

The stories my husband has about the heat and being in the army and overseas. Well, enough said, he hates heat now!

I had to mow with the little mower! Two stints at mowing and one more section to go.
Eek gads, glad you did not get heat stroke being out in the park!

Tomorrow is supposed to be nasty so the yard may just have to grow on its own. One section, I fenced in and turned my equine out into! Poop and eat. They mow and feed.

Nice on the mushrooms. I am not finding anything good, but haven't really been out searching.
Have a great one.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Pooh bear is great! Hope you all decided on the Farmers Market and lots of people came out! Stay cool...a tad warm up here too :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails