Tuesday, June 14, 2022

A New Starter For Subie.

And so once again, Subie came to the Rescue.  He managed to cure my anxiety by forcing me to think about him again.   This time...  With his inability to turn over.  Nothing gets my hackles flared faster than being stuck in an unknown Walmart Parking lot.. With 90 degree temps and humidity... And having your Car not start normally.    Cold sweats followed by Hot Flashes!  Who are you going to call?   ( Ghost Busters?!?)   

Sorry, they will not help me on this one. 

Well, Fortunately, or unfortunately,  (depending on how you look at things.) I have been down this road before.  I stepped out, rocked the car, and he started up as if nothing was the matter.   Hmm... That was odd.    Except it has happened several times over the last two days.   Once in the park after chalking.  Once at Church.  And then, several times today!  Turn the key,  lights come on, but nothing  happens. Let's do some research!

I knew it was not the battery or the Alternator, because I have replaced all of those items within the last year.   After a quick forum search,  my suspicions were supported.   Subie's starter needed to be replaced.  

The Difficult bottom bolt.

Luckily,  or unluckily... (depending on how you look at things.) I managed to bring just enough tools to give me the crazy idea that I might be able to  fix this issue myself.   I'm still new to the area, so I am not familiar with any close mechanics.   And I am on a limited budget at the moment. (Aren't we all?)  So you can imagine the conundrum I found myself in.   Attempt to fix a serious issue with Subie with  limited tools, or risk all of your remaining money bills on an unknown Mechanic for an unknown duration of time.  Having done this particular job before on this very car,  I decided I would roll up my DIY sleeves and take a swing at it myself.   Because, that is the kind of guy I am.   Plus!   I really needed a WIN in my life.  

PLUS!   I could find something blog worthy to write about!

Off to Autozone!  They had the part.  And Dave knew the guy... so we got 10% off the retail price!   (Good to know people!)   And  then back to the garage. 

Having limited tools did cause me a certain level of caution at first.  However,  there was one HUGE advantage to this time that the last time was lacking.   I was able to work on LEVEL CONCRETE!   No rolling cars, no gravel raking my back or sliding into my shorts.  Even with the heat,  the experience was not as dangerous or scary. 

VICTORY!
As mentioned before,  I have done this before.  (Yes, yes... We get it now... You have done this job before..)  In fact, I have changed out starters a number of times, in far worse conditions!  So... after slowly removing all of the parts that were in the way,  I focused on the two bolts holding the old starter on.   As I recalled, the bottom one was the most difficult.  But thankfully,  I did the job last time (Why must you keep saying that? ) and must have put anti seize on the bolts.   They broke free fairly easy.  A pulled plug, a couple more loosened nuts and wires and BOOM!    VICTORY!
Compare parts...

Putting the new one in was almost as easy.   Well,   It took a little less time.   And there is always that moment where you think..."What if this does not work?"   Will I have to pull everything back off and start over?   Should I even button everything up just yet?    Fear and anxiety only keep you weak!  And confidence is gained by doing the same task over and over again...  Or so they say.  (At least that sounds cool.) 

So all buttoned up and Subie starts!  First time go!   Hurray!   I really needed a win  today too.  So...  Fingers crossed,  Subie will continue to  run for a few more miles.   It has been  over 100,000 miles since the last Starter replacement, so I would be fine with that number.  We shall see.  

After that,  Dave had to fit the new Boat be brought from Michigan into his Garage.   It is a big rig!  And there was a moment where we were not sure it was going to be able to fit inside the garage fully. But,  with a little creative positioning,  we managed to squeeze it in with less than two finger's width to spare. Dave says that this is only a short term solution and will be looking for better accommodations in the future.  In the mean time,  Dave's Truck and the Subie are outside  in the driveway,  taunting  the Home owner's Association over the "unwritten Driveway Rules" that are being violated.  I hope he does not get into trouble...

Well, there it is.  Subie works again,  Dave got a Boat,   And I got to blog about it!   Oh!  And I should add in the latest Chalking I did yesterday.   I forgot I posted it on Facebook, but not here. So... Here she is.   One of my favorite Mermaids.   I think she is based off of a Stained Glass window.  I really liked this when I did it back in Wellman, but the rain quickly washed it away the next day.   Such a disappointment.   I have not checked the sight today, but it was under a roof, so it might still be there.   I hope at least a few people get to see it before it gets washed away.  

Thanks for stopping in!

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice Mermaid! You did it! Good for you! You are a mechanic!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails