Sunday, June 19, 2022

And Then The Fishing was Hot!

I was about to head out for my evening walk when Dave invited me to go Fishing again.   I figured, what the heck?   But this time Dave suggested we buy some live bait.   Last time I noticed a handful of Bluegills on the beds, so perhaps some tasty food might entice them better than a small jig. 

We traveled o the Farm pond from last time...  Worms in Hand.   And I was disappointed when I only caught a small bluegill after several minutes.  I moved just down the bank about 20 yards and BOOM!  Crazy Fish!

Big Spawning Bluegills were more than eager to gobble up any portion of the worm I put on the hook.   I also caught three fairly large Bass along with them.  Of course, I did not bring my camera...  And had I actually done that, I'm sure I would have been taking a picture after every fish!  They are so beautiful when they have their spawning colors on. 

I don't know exactly how many we caught, but it was Plenty!  Dave moved just down the bank a bit from me and started catching them like crazy too.   In the end,  we had a "Stringer" full, ( because we left the bucket back at the truck.)  And it was getting late.  We still had to clean them. 

Asside from two small ones I kept, I think most of the bluegills were over 8 inches.  Several of them were pushing 9.5!   Those are pretty nice, even by Dad's Standards.  ( My Dad was a Bluegill snob.  "I only keep the 9+ inchers, and throw back the rest")  Don't get me wrong, he LOVED eating bluegills.  And he loved catching HUGE bluegills. 

It was a fun time this evening.  Cool air and no bugs to really bother us.   The action was hot and we have more than enough fish for several meals.  ( Maybe several.. at least two!)    It is funny how I forgot how much fun fishing is.  And even cleaning the darn things was fun. Imagine that!   Dad and I used to clean them well into the night and sometimes have them ready for Breakfast the next day.   Nostalgia is a funny thing. 

Well at least Dave did not have to clean them all by himself this time.  I think he welcomed the help.  And the mess was not as terrible as I remember.   Dave says  he might cook some up for Lunch tomorrow.   Sounds good to me!

Hope everyone is had a great weekend and Thanks for stopping in.  Today was a great day!

3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I sure miss fishing. Sometimes we caught a lot and sometimes we just fed worms to the fish. But it was always sooooo relaxing.
I don't think I am too excited though about cleaning them, but I am sure my hubby could talk me through it!

L. D. said...

The blue gill use to be the only kind of fish that we ate as a kid as we wouldn't think of buying frozen fish at the store. It was a good fishing day.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Great catch. I love eating fish but I'm not good at catching them - I have great difficulty getting them off the hook as I always think I will hurt them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails