Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Rain, River, Floods, and Muscatine.

Rain in Iowa.... With a touch of Flooding.
The last two days it has been raining.   Yesterday, it rained the entire day!   Cheryl and I chose NOT to go out and get soaked or deal with mud on the trail.

"Niggles"  everywhere!





It was probably a good decision as both of us have been feeling "niggles' creeping up in out moving parts.  Legs, shoulders, elbows, ankles...  all hurt with some unknown pain...   Maybe it is just old age.   Maybe it is the 110 miles we put on last week!

How I dream of Tomatoes...
Muscatine,  and Subie. 
Regardless,  I enjoyed the rain and the day off.   I did not have to dote over my Tomatoes for fear they would wilt under the increasing Iowa Death Sun.  In fact,  today's temps have been hovering in the upper 60's with a brisk, cool wind.   A fine day to explore Muscatine!


Cheryl running in the cool. 
We ran 7 miles because, even with the 24 hours off,  Cheryl still felt a little stiff.    The wind blowing off the Mississippi was fairly cool and refreshing.  A Pleasant change from last week's temps.

We did the Normal stuff, and then headed home.   Cheryl made some more Ice cream ( deadly!) and I worked on another Origami Stop Motion.   We decided to leave for the trail to bike before it got too late.

Flooded field or New Lake?  
Well...  The Kewash Trail had a surprise for us!  Basically, a Lake had suddenly appeared near the Crooked Creek Bridge.   In fact, we never actuall saw the bridge.   We had to turn back about a half mile before we got to the creek.   It figures I would not have my camera along to catalog the event.   ( It was still set up with the Stop Motion equipment.)  I never thought that that field near the creek was low enough to hold that much water.   The water not only flooded the field, but also blocked the road and trail!  I tested the water to see if we could cross it with the bikes.  Only about 6 inches deep but Cheryl was affraid of Leaches.   Leaches?  Here?   I got about half way across and there, writhing in on the surface of the water, was a HUGE leech! 
No one likes Leeches....

I bolted out of the water with my bare feet barely touching the ground.   I have never been a fan of Mosquitoes, Ticks, Vampires and Leeches!  Talk about creeping me out!

So our normal 11 mile bike ride was limited to only around 8.  We added an extra mile on going the other way from West Chester, but the Wind was too strong and the Trail was  rather soft for the bikes.   It certainly felt like we did the entire 11 miles though.

The afternoon has been dry so far.   I'm not sure if storms will roll in later.   Otherwise,  Hope everyone is having a fine day.   The cooler air is very welcome here, and Cheryl has been hoping it will stay for the entire summer.   Wouldn't that be grand?    Thanks for stopping in.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your kangaroo is really cute! We have a lake with leeches and my brother and I had to pick leeches off of each other. Did you like that scene in Stand By Me??

Later in life I sold leeches as bait and the darn things die without a change of water...so I learned to do that too:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails