Friday, June 26, 2020

Rainy Day Strawberries!

Looks like the rain has stopped just in time! 
It has been raining on and off all day today.   And the Humidity is AWFUL!   For this reason, we decided not to go running/biking today.  We had actually prepared for it, figuring the rain would let up before we got to Coralville....  it did not.  So, some banking, some shopping, and back home we went.  However, along the way we noticed the "You Pick" strawberry patch was open!   And wouldn't you know it, the rain had stopped!
And we have the entire field to
ourselves..Mostly.

So,  being in a "Berry Mood" lately, we decided to check it out.   The conditions were not terrible.. at first.   The clouds kept the sun away and we were able to pick with relative ease.

Smaller than the ones in the store. 
By the way,it has been DECADES since I last picked strawberries.  And now I remember why.   It is back breaking work for the un-initiated.   We started out with  our knees bent and searching intently.   I even ditched my rain coat so I would not overheat.

It looks fun!  For now...
Looks like the tub is getting full.
But eventually,  our knees got sore and strained and we began bending down from our hips.   This causes he lower back to become strained!   I ended up doing a combination of both, with my knees slightly bent, and my elbow on my knee for support.   This method, however, does not allow you the best access to the berries. 

Stretching the back andlegs is required
 for the  second row.
8 lbs of Berries! 
Cheryl and I set a goal to at first pick at least enough for a pie.   Then we set the goal for "two full rows" worth of berries.   About halfway through the second row, we were both beginning to question our goals.   We both had to sit up and stretch our sore muscles and aching joints.   And I thought we were in SHAPE!   Cheryl says she used muscles she never knew she had... and they are all sore now. Oh!  Did I mention that the Sun also came out?  Just in time to heat things up on the second row.

More people are showing up. 
And we are exhausted!  Time to go!
It is a strange thing to think that you can achieve muscle failure picking small red berries off the ground.  But I think we did just that.   We somehow managed to get to the end of the second row.  And the crowds were beginning to gather, so it was a great time to get our berries and get out.   I found myself initially being very methodical and thorough at the beginning.   However, they the end, we were just skipping over sections.  I'm sure we missed more and a few along the way.

Wonder what we will do with all of these.
But in the end, we picked 8 lbs!   That seems like a lot for some reason.   Perhaps even more than I was hoping for.   What the heck are we going to do with 8 lbs of Strawberries?   The wild conditions make holding on to them seem a little risky.  I'm sure they will begin to mold and deteriorate very quickly unless we take immediate steps.   I think Cheryl has a plan, with all those baking books sprawling out over the floor.   A Pie?  A Tart?   Maybe simple Strawberry Shortcake...   We shall see what she has in mind.  I'm sure it will be delicious.

For not going running or biking, it certainly feels like we had a serious workout!   My Grandpa would pick three rows of Strawberries all by himself!  I think it was a "Zen" thing for him.  I doubt I would have the same passion for picking berries if I felt this way every day.  I'm glad the Berry Basket Farm are the ones with all the passion.   We can pick what we want and be done with it.   If I had to clear the rows every day, I think I would end up hating berries altogether.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails