Saturday, September 4, 2021

And Now... Hummingbirds!

I have been slowly changing up my hummingbird feeders this year. Menards had these small single flower feeders cheap!  So I bought several of them and lined the window and porch.   As a result, the Hummers have been buzzing around like bees these last few days.  It also helps that the Cardinal Creeper is finally showing a few flowers.  The hummers LOVE those small, red trumpet-like flowers.  One it really kicks off, the entire side of the porch will look red and green!

I like the smaller feeders because the larger ones have issues.   Bugs get in them, no matter how "bug proof" they claim to be.   Also,  some form of black mold seems to get in them over time and turn the sugar water sour.  Vinegar? Not sure.  But I do know that the Hummers avoid it once that happens and I have to completely clean it out and refill it. 

And then there is the Hummers fighting over the single feeder. Even with 4 slots available, inevitably, one hummer will chase the others away and claim solo ownership.   So selfish!

The small ones avoid the bugs and the mold.  But they do require more filling as the hummers can drain them within a couple days.   Also,  if a wasp takes a shine to one of the feeders, he will harass the hummers and keep them away  But with SO MANY feeders available ( I currently have 8 set up.)  and spaced out.... Even the most aggressive hummer can't defend them all.  Currently, I believe I have between 6-8 hummers coming to the feeders.  Trying to capture more than one in a picture is like catching flies with tweezers.

Farmer's Market today was not so good.  Cheryl and I have been scratching our heads wondering why, but perhaps the overcast skies kept people away.   Or the fact that it is Labor Day Weekend this weekend.  Maybe folks are camping, grilling or visiting relatives on the long weekend.   Whatever the reason, they certainly were not out at the Farmer's Market this morning.  Ah well... You take the Good with the Bad sometimes. 

More Stockings today.   We finished up 4 custom orders for a total of 7 stockings.  Cheryl did not want to push them off until tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a fine weekend so far.  Cheryl has a Race coming up... Tomorrow.   We will have to get up bright and early to make it by the start time.  I will have to post more about that later.  

Thanks for stopping in.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Nice shots of the hummers! I have one feeder and plenty of hostas and 4 o'clock flowers that open in the evening that they can feed off from. Often we see them all over and at our feeder. I'll be taking the feeder down because soon wasps will be at it and I don't like attracting them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails