Friday, November 26, 2021

Thanksgiving Day Recap.

As noted by many of the folks on Facebook,  I see that many people managed to get a Turkey, despite the rising inflation, Supply Chain Back up, Pandemic surge, panic buying, and shortage of Turkeys.  ( Proof you can't believe the news anymore.)  And as much as Cheryl and I prepared for a "Traditional Thankgiving dinner"..  There was a change of plans.

Now before you go off thinking we had another sad Thanksgiving dinner with Hotdogs or Mac and Cheese..(Did I tell you about the time we had to share  a pot pie on a cardboard box? ) You could not be further from the mark.    We had Tacos!  

Whoa!  Wait... Tacos?   Yes Tacos!  But not your normal boring Tacos from one of the few remaining Taco Bells in Operation...  These were Gourmet Tacos!  Worthy of the Food Network!  

Alton Brown on Iron Chef!

So now you are probably wondering how Cheryl and I managed to get on an Episode of The Iron Chef, Or America's Test Kitchen?  What series of odd events had to happen to make this opportunity possible?    I shall explain.

After the Turkey Trot in Davenport yesterday,  Mike invited us to their house that was only a few hours away.   There, Pam, Wyatt, Stan, and Delilah were busy making a Taco Buffet worthy of Any Taco Tuesday at your Local HyVee.  But this was Way Better!  You see,  they are all fans of cooking shows, cooking magazines, Martha Stewart, and Alton Brown. ( I think they mentioned Gordon Ramsey as well...  )  That means you have to expand your image of Tacos when you bring these sages into the mix.  
Ok, that last paragraph is laying it on a little thick.    Yes, it was a taco bar.  No, I have never been to HyVee Taco Tuesdays.   In fact, I can't remember the last time I had an honest to goodness Taco!  Either soft or hard crunchy shell!   But I do know that I have NEVER had smoked brisket or slow roasted pulled pork as an ingredient.  And yes,  they took their holiday meats, and beers very serious. 
The meats really were the highlight of the tacos.  The salsas ranged from hot to mild.  There were home made pickled onions, tomatoes, several cheeses, avocados, and sour cream.  White soft, yellow soft, and hard shells, refried beans and lots of other stuff I 'm struggling to remember.   You simply could not fit it all on a single taco.  ( So I had to make multiple trips.) 

Flan!  Awesome!

But then!  The goodies.  Pam made Flan...  A Custard dessert passed down form the mother-in-law?  I have never had anything like it. I would have to say that was my favorite item from the feast yesterday.  There were also plenty of cookies and other treats as well. In all, it was a good time. 

Now I know this entire chain of events might seem a little hard to believe.  Especially given our new found mental condition,  ( see the Autism Post) But apparently, despite Cheryl's best efforts, they seem to enjoy our company.  Perhaps they are as odd ( Or Normal) as we are.   And since there are no pictures of these festivities, you may just have to take my word for it. (That we actually have friends!)  Plus, who would write so much about tacos for thanksgiving if it were not true?  Just saying that last sentence out loud seems to make complete sense, while also sounding rather odd. I'll try not to overthink it.  

Flan...  You have to try this!

So,  our Thanksgiving was saved by enjoying it with friends instead of family this year.   I think this is a first for me.   I have always spent my thanksgivings with family ( not counting the "sad" ones.) I think I may enjoy the change in the routine.  Perhaps a new tradition?  But let's not overthink it.
Hope everyone else had an equally fun and exciting Thanksgiving.. with Friends, Family, and Flan.   Seriously,  Flan!  You really need to try it.   It was awesome!  And new! And that is a kind of rare finding a food I have never tried before. I would highly recommend.   Thanks for stopping in and Have an Great Weekend!

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

I was able to spend a few hours visiting my friend-family. A simple 3 minute walk landed me in the midst of a family celebration where we all enjoyed kids and adults together with a super delicious ALL vegetarian meal that didn't taste vegetarian at all.

Sometimes spending holidays with friends is better. So much less drama.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails