Wednesday, November 24, 2021

A Case for Autism.

 Cheryl and I just found out that we both have Autism!  We discovered this while watching a You tube Video on the internet.  And if it was on the internet, you know it has to be true!   We learned that out of the 16 simple signs  to look for, I have 15 of them, and Cheryl has all 16!   So yeah... apparently we are Autistic. 

Early intervention is Key???

I'm not entirely sure how to process this information.  Especially now that I know I'm Autistic.  All this time I thought my social awkwardness and bad life choices were due to me being shy and introverted.  ( Which are sure fire signs of autism, by the way...)  It certainly does explain a few things.  

For instance,  Me geeking out about Mushrooms and Origami....  I thought that was just a hobby that I was enthusiastic about.   Nope!   Autism!   Cheryl's infatuation with running and her inability to make new friends.   Autism! And both of us liked the movies Napoleon Dynamite and Ghost World.  Finding humor where others do not...   OR failing to find humor in  things the general population finds funny.   Autism! 

Personally, I still remain skeptical at this self diagnosis.  But I have seen signs and often joked about having a mild case of autism in the past.   There was this one mythbusters episode where you were supposed to count the bouncing ball.  And half way through the task,  a man in a gorilla suit walks through the screen.  I IMMEDIATELY lose the count.  And curse myself for being distracted by the obvious gorilla man.  However,   THAT was the actual test.   I hear 50% of the people will not see the gorilla?  Perhaps it was higher.   

Too many Butterflies disturb my ability to focus.

Not sure if that is a good thing, showing Focus on the NOW..  Or a bad thing:  Being distracted by things that are not part of the task at hand.  This would explain why I was so bad in school... Or my job.   Or life! 

Are you wondering what one of the 16 signs that I missed?   The OCD habit and planning.   Cheryl has this.
Cheryl has issues.
She is obsessively cleaning and planning every move we make.  She even threw away my emergency fork after cleaning the car!  ( Who would do such a thing?)  I find OCD people irritating, personally.   I guess that is why I married one?   Does that mean I'm Autistic?   Probably.
Pearson Employees.

Another of the main red flags was when they mention that autistic people tend to hang out with other autistic people.   We work at Pearson!   Do I really need to explain it?   We called ourselves the "Island of the Misfit Toys."   A title we proudly wear and joke about, claiming it was a series of bad life choices that lead everyone with a college education to score at Pearson.   When, apparently,  it is because we are all Autistic in some form or another.  ( and boy, some of those folks obviously fit in that Autism category.)  

Now,  if you are offended by this post about Autism, Just think about how I feel!  I was happily  living in my world of ignorance and along comes You Tube telling me I'm Autistic.  And even though I find it hard to believe...  Some of the signs make perfect sense.  And I certainly have a lot of the red flags. 

So what now?   Do I use Autism to explain all the bad things in my life?   Or do I use it like a Rainman Super Power?   Perhaps we should go to Vegas and win  millions of dollars counting cards at the Blackjack tables.  But, I don't think I have that brand of Autism.   Besides, everyone knows that the house has the odds in their favor and statistically, you have a better chance at getting struck by lightning or getting hit by and asteroid than winning money from the Lottery.  I don't think being mathematically capable automatically makes me Autistic.   I just have to find out where my super power lies.... and then we will make lots of money and live happily ever after!  And I won't need an emergency fork in the Subaru anymore... It was plastic. 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good thing you two can work together! I had no doubt that it was Cheryl in charge!

Val Ewing said...

Of course it has to be true. It is on the inter--web and YouTube of course.
Think of all the money we could save instead of seeing a doctor! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails