Thursday, October 15, 2020

And This Is Why I Try To Finish Drawing Before 3!

Windy Day Mouse. 

 Well there I was, minding my own business while drawing another cartoon Character on the concrete when a cluster of kids showed up!   I normally try to get out to the park while the kids are still in school.  And finish BEFORE they are ready to come home.  It limits the time I will spend on any one mural, so I don't end up ruining it with too much "fussing."   With only a few exceptions,  the arrangement has worked out fairly well. 

Real leaves add authenticity. 

 But yesterday, we went to Muscatine,  did stockings, and it began to get a little late.   It was 2  in the afternoon when I finally went out, after deciding doing something rushed would be better than missing another day.  So out I went. 

Raincoat Dog. 

Things were going good with an easy little dog in a raincoat.   But I lost track of time.   Enter:   The kids!

Because it is supposed to rain this weekend.

I think there was 5 of them.. maybe 6.  They Swarmed me with questions and compliments.  It was very uncomfortable. 

I was finished with the dog, but one of the kids wanted to watch me draw something simple.  And they all wanted to help.   I figured it would not cause me too much trouble if they did all the crawling around on the ground... so I accepted.  

A Purple cat?   Who designed this?!?!

One of the girls wanted a cat...  which is one of my simpler designs.   I chalked it out and they began to fill it in with color.  In the end...  We got this Abomination!  

Cheryl liked it.   So did the Moms.






A Purple and Pink Cat?   Well,  to be fair,  I suggested the colors since I have a surplus of purple and pink chalk.   I expected them to laugh at me and refuse... but kids might not get reverse psychology.   Anyway,  the painted it purple.   And their mothers were impressed!  I made sure not to take any credit for any of it.  Any self respecting artist would never put those colors together for a cat! And I have a reputation to uphold. 

My 3D koi pond. 

It was not all bad though,   In fact it was kind of fun watching 6 year-olds crawling around on the sidewalk like it was nothing.   I must look like an upside down turtle when I'm down there.   Every joint and muscle aches after only 2 hours!   These kids work 4 times faster and had no complaints about pain or stiffness.  No wonder Factories employed kids during the '20's!  I feel like there is an untapped labor potential there.  ( I'm sure too many parents are aware of this...I know mine were!) 

It needs color. 

As for today,  I just finished a Koi in a small pond.  I added a little shadow to it for a cool 3-d effect.   The pictures on my phone are far more impressive than the actual mural.  Chalk is funny that way... kind of dull.  But make the picture digital and it seems to come alive. 

A little more color. 

The weather is getting cooler here and there are rumors of frost and possibly snow on the weekend.   I'm not ready for snow, but it would close the door on the "Art In The Park" for me.  Already today, i had to wear a coat and select a sunny spot for my work.  Winters in Iowa ( And Minnesota!) are so cold!  


There we go!  I can't wait until I get brighter
chalk. 

One final note,   Only two more posts and I will match all of 2019 for blog entries!  I will still have 2 months left for blogging.   It is possible I may be able to actually get close to the second most blogged about year.  ( 2009 was a dark time... and I'm not sure I said anything productive during those posts anyway...)   I guess I would have to blog about something every 2 days to be able to surpass 2010.  ( The year of the Big Iowa Move!)  We shall see if I can continue to find inspiration during the pandemic, disaster year of 2020.   Wish us luck!   Thanks for stopping in. 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I bet the kids had fun and that is a good way to use up purple chalk! Your puppy is delightful as is the Koi...you rock! Snow in the air here today:(

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What an incredible talent you have !
I love each and every one of your drawings, such attention to detail ...
Thank you for sharing your work with us, it is a delight :)
~Jo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails