Saturday, October 3, 2020

Mushrooms, Murals, And Side-Kickin' Cats.

My "Successful" mural. 
After the kids awarded me with that little card,  That motivated me to work on some more murals near the DayCare.   I had to pick things that are slightly more "Age Appropriate" but found a few things within my skill level.  I somehow managed to do three scenes yesterday.    Normally, one scene takes all day! ( or at least the amount of time I allot myself.)  But it helps of the drawings are slighty easier and I have a little bit of motivation. 

Windy Days motivate me to draw wind.
I would say that one out of the three was "good" for me.   I liked the little girl hugging the beat up teddy bear.  I think it was cute and charming and turned out pretty good, given that I had no brown colored chalk for the bear.  The Park Super came out and had a chat with me for an hour or so.   She gave me some of their wild honey and some "Honey Suckers" that she has been experimenting with. 
 
Oreo Stands Guard.
  I LOVE home grown honey.  Especially here in Wellman Iowa.   I have had lots of honey in Michigan. ( Apple, Blueberry, Clover, Wildflower, Goldenrod, Orange blossom, Buckwheat,  And even Lavender!)  Growing up in the fruit belt made some some very dark and rich honeys.  ( Buckwheat and Blueberry blossoms must yield serious sugars.)   But here in Iowa,  ( At least this year...)  The bees have found a combination of flowers that has the mildest, yet pleasantly sweet flavors.   I have been putting it in my coffee, hot cocoa, and even eating it straight!  
Cheryl says she likes this one a lot. 


I have also been motivated by the wind.  Pretty much every day last week was windy.  I found this girl chasing an umbrella to be cute and simple.   The sidewalk choice could have been better.   But in the end,  I made it mostly work.   Cheryl says she liked it a lot, and she usually tells me if she does not. 

Oreo inspects the Fox.
I didn't even want to take a picture of the fox, but Cheryl wanted to see it anyway.  Along the way,  Oreo, ( the neighbor's cat) decided to tag along.   Now, the park is fairly close, but still takes a bit of a hike to get to.   Having Oreo follow us the entire way was rather charming and a bit of a surprise!   
Rocket and Hiro play in the catnip. 
Rocket ( the neighbor's other cat) also followed along two days ago.  He followed us only to the park entrance, where he found a gaggle of teenage girls to flirt with.   He ditched us there, and waited until we were about to come back to link back up.   I guess the cross-country team had to eventually leave, so he was forced to pay attention to us once again. 

This is what happens when a Cat Rolls
in the chalk. 
Oreo is not really a "people cat".   Nor does he seem to be much of a "cat's  cat!"   In fact, I'm not sure why he hangs around us at all. I play with him sometimes.   He sometimes eats a bit of food.  Mostly. he just irritates the rest of the cats. ( Fluffy, Hiro, and Rocket.) But he certainly has his moments. 
Grandpa Ghost cat!














It has been raining a steady drizzle most of the day today.   I imagine most of the murals I made this week will be washed away this time.   But next week, they are predicting sunshine and cool temps.   Maybe I will be able to make a few things last this time. 
Hops at the Peak of Ripeness.

Hops past their expiration date. 
We went to Muscatine today.   In addition to more honey,  We found some more Shaggy Caps and a vine of Hops!  The Hops are probably on their last week for being harvested. 
I brought one vine home. 
 They have a wonderful bitterness.  Some of the vines had already turned fully brown and are past their prime.  I took a small section and brought it home along with the mushrooms. 
Along with a couple Shaggy caps.

 






Speaking of Mushrooms.   With all this cool air and rainy mornings of last week,  the Mushrooms have started popping up in our yard again.   Meadow Mushrooms!  

Shaggy Ink caps.   Yum! 

 I grabbed a few and will probably chop them up and put them on Pizza later.   We have been having our Mushroom Pizza again.  This time with Sourdough crust!   I reach in to the bin and grab a handful of the dried mushrooms we have... randomly!   They are all delish! 
More Meadow Mushrooms 
in the yard!  ( Pink gills
becoming brown.) 

Hope everyone is staying dry and warm.  It certainly feels like a good day to snuggle up with some cats and a hot cocoa.   The rain prevents me from any further sidewalk drawing, but I'm sure I will have the opportunity in the coming week.   Thanks for stopping in. 

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your chalk art is amazing! I like them all and I am certain the children do to! :) Down right chilly here today...almost winter boots time:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails