Saturday, August 18, 2018

Cheryl's Super Secret Mission is Reveled!

The Secret is OUT! 
After the first missile was launched during the First Gulf War... everyone knew that the war was ON.   And so it is with Cheryl's super secret.    Now that she has safely crossed the finish line,  there is no longer a fear that the universe will throw a wrench in her racing plans.

So now,  I can talk freely about the experience.    Yeah!
Cheryl preps for Racing.


Today,  Cheryl ran the Madison Mini Marathon.   I know, right?   Who would have ever guessed that?   Well,   I promised I would keep the secret secret.   So basically,  I would not be surprised if everyone was surprised over this revelation.   Cheryl running a half marathon is such a rare thing these days.  And in the heat of Summer!  I'm sure no one would have guessed it in a million years. 
Sunscreen, maps, bibs, beer....


Lots of People. 
We headed out early, as usual.   4 A.M. wake up with a 7A.M. Gun Time...  We barely beat the parking rush!   As we found our spot,  cars were wrapped around the parking garage.  We could not have cut it any closer without being stuck in a long line.  
She can't wait to get started!

In the Start zone.  Corral "C". 
Cheryl prepped for her race with Sun screen, maps, bibs, and beer tickets.   She also prepared the "Super Secret Racing Formula" to help her at the half way point.  My mission was to hand it off to her when the time came around.  

The crowd seemed larger than in the last few years.   Lots of Crowd support for this one.  Cheryl says that is one of the things about this race she enjoys.   

There was no construction this year,  so the start and finish line were fairly close...  without the usual orange barrels and construction equipment to dodge. 

A Barbershop Quartet sang the National Anthem, and they were off!   I stood on a set of stairs so I could see Cheryl easily as she raced by.   Wouldn't you know it, that even with my high vantage point, I still ended up playing "Where is Waldo?" with her...    Can you see her in this picture? 
Can you find her?


How about Now? 

Hint:   Find the Blue Circle.... 
Since I did not see her the first time, I gave up and ran to the second viewing area:  Mile 1.5.   There, I was able to pick her out of the crowd a little easier.     She ran by and I ran ahead to the next viewing area.
Cheryl waves at Mile 1.5

And Runs past...

Defying Gravity. 

Mile 8!
Green Flag means: Race is still Endurable. 
Cheryl in the distance. 



The flags were green for the entire race.  There were concerns that the humidity and sun would mix to elevate the threat level.   However, the overcast skies kept the humidity under control for most of the time.   In fact,  Cheryl said that the cool breeze that hit them on the turn around was quite pleasant.   

She looks thirsty...
Good thing the cap is off. 
Despite all this,  she still looked like a melting snowman and required the Super Secret Racing fuel she had prepared.    I would like to think that my accidental idea of keeping some ice next to it helped.   The Super Secret Racing Fuel. ( Let's just call it code name:  Diet Coke.) still had some effervescence in it, which accidentally blew off the cap when I tried to open it.   The cap was sent flying into the crowd of runners, creating  a huge explosion that scared the near by dogs and small children.  Luckily,  no authorities were alerted. 



Whoa!    Settle Down Pheidippides!!!


Cheryl hinted that she might not need the fuel after all,  but she did forget her Tylenol at the start.   Every placebo helps when running a half marathon, so she was rather "thankful" for the Code Name: Diet Coke. 


Approaching Mile 13.


 I linked back up at mile 13.  With only .1 miles to run, I managed to race along side her for most of the last stage.   She was waving at me even though I was standing next to the official race photographer.  I wonder what pictures he captured from his point of view.  

She is feeling Genki!

Hamming it up for the Camera.

Even though she does not see him there....




Racing along side,  I was joined by another spectator.   He was following her "Race Horse" in the same fashion as me.  This actually happened several times before Cheryl arrived.   My idea was hardly unique.
Other spectators raced along their "Race Horse".  Just like Me. 

I was almost able to keep up with her. 
I followed along side as far as I could before hitting the finish line crowd.   Cheryl's official time was 1:43:55.   Given the heat and humidity,  that was pretty good.   Cheryl was very happy.  
She turns the Corner.... 

Final stretch...  

Cheryl pours on the Speed!   Becoming Blurry.... 

With her Medal and Banana.

At the Finish line. 
With medal in hand, we headed  towards the beer tent, but discovered that neither of us had our ID's.   It was OK.   We both have been "Beer Free" for several weeks now, and it seemed a little early to be enjoying beer anyway.  ( Not really, but I tell myself this so I can feel better....)   Instead Cheryl grabbed a diet Pepsi and we hung out by the water for a few minutes, chatting about the race.   

Showing off the Bling. 
Where do we get the Beer? 
All in all,  Cheryl did well, but it was hardly a PR for her.   AND  Every Gazelle in Wisconsin/ Illinois, and Michigan came to race this year.   A Guy from Grand Rapids Michigan won the thing.  Cheryl still placed in the top 10 for her age group,  but there were many VERY fast women there this year.



Who needs beer?   Let's watch the water.
No bother,  she is just happy to have finished, and got the time that she did.    And for that, I'm thankful as well.   No emergencies, no confusions,  no anxiety.  And Cheryl and I got to visit Wisconsin once again.   Not too bad.



Capitol in the Background. 

  I'll have to save all of the weekend recaps for a later post.  We are beginning another project on Monday, so my blogging may get stiffed once again.   But I shall have at least tomorrow for any missing details I may still have pictures for.   Thanks for stopping in.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails