Sunday, July 25, 2021

Easy Sunday. With Advice For Vegans...

 A quick post after the BIX.  Today, I just finished cooking up the Chicken of the Woods Mushroom we purchased yesterday from the Farmer's Market.  This is only the second time I have had the opportunity to eat some of this mushroom... And all I have to say is "WOW!"

We had Chick-fil-A yesterday after the race. ( They were a sponsor and were handing out free sandwiches and coupons.) It was good as always.   But the chicken of the woods sandwich was almost identical!  ( Less spicy) The texture and flavor of the mushroom is so dead on for the actually meat, I would recommend that Vegan keep their integrity and stop purchasing that Fake  "Vegan Meat".  Instead,  Simply fry up a Chicken of the woods on a bun and you will discover the wonders of  a Chick fil A Sandwich.   I will have to look up when the last time I had Chicken of the Woods . ( Ok, September of 2019)  It was good then, but I had forgotten just how awesome.  Possibly the best tasting mushroom of all time...  Though morels are up there. ( they taste like a really great hamburger to me... ) 

The recipes are endless, but it is safe to say you simply cook it as if it were a chicken.  A little olive oil, fried in a pan until tender.   Add some mayo and a tomato to the bun and you have a mushroom sandwich that tastes like chicken.  Easy!  

The vendor from the Farmer's Market said that they were just coming out.  Usually, they are late fall bloomers. If you have the tree that sprouts them on your watch list, it would be easy to check on it daily to see if anything is happening.  Similar to all of our Golden Oyster Trees that we know of.   However, if you have only one spot... and it is not convenient to visit every day... then you are back to ground zero. 

I sweated out in the weather for three hours this afternoon drawing a couple of Winnie's on the Daycare Steps.  Hopefully the kids will like it.  It rained last night and all of the previous chalk drawings have mostly washed away.  This is a good thing as I have big plans for the areas I had previously chalked up.  Now that they are clear, I can begin again with some new material. 

Hope everyone is staying cool.   And if you see any BRIGHT ORANGE polypore mushrooms growing from a tree, I would highly recommend harvesting some and giving it a go.  ( There are not many look-a-like mushrooms that are not also a subspecies of Chicken of the woods.  Also edible, also tasty...) Just remember Chickens do not have gills!  Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

That is cute...chickens don't have gills. I shall remember that.
I am surprised they are out now. Ok, maybe not surprised. The Orioles have left, the bluebirds have left, and the cat bird has left our area. I think this is early too.

Now we need rain for mushrooms!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting:) We like meat with our meat:) My husband likes mushrooms...I will keep one eye out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails