Monday, September 4, 2017

The Odd Hobby of Origami

If only they could talk.
Who wakes up one day and thinks they want to do Origami?  (Other than Robert Lang...) It is a thankless and tedious task where you give and give and give and never get anything back... ( unless you are Robert Lang)
Robert Lang,  A origami god!
  Oh the hours!    Wasted?   Maybe.   Does everything have to be measured in a dollar amount?   Sometimes.  If that is the case,  then I waste a lot of time on Origami.

Case in point.   I wanted to show the progression of one small fish.   Simple!  Right?   So without me blathering along...   I'll let the pictures do most of the talking...

Methylcellulose.   Wallpaper glue mixed with jello gelatin. Make it thick!

Rolling out tissue paper. (2-3 layers thick)  Let dry.
24 hours later.   Start folding the paper.

Fold 10x10 grid in middle.

Double that!

This will be the top.   Start from the head and work towards the tail.
Layer the paper, dividing each square in half. 

Continue this for the next two hours. 

Done!   With that part at least....Now the fun part!
On the underside.  Start from the tail this time.  Lock each scale into place.

Like this.  

Do this 421 more times! 

This is the top side.   Scales are locked in.

Sit back and watch your life drain away....
3 hours later.... Almost done.

Top side:   Checking in each scale to make sure they are set.

Want to add some color?   Do this as you make the paper.  Before folding.

Rinse and repeat!
Tada!   Wasn't that easy?   2 days per fish.  

And if you mess up anywhere along the way... say goodbye to your effort. 
Certainly easier than folding one. 
Now wasn't that fun?   I could stick with the "easy" stuff...   But then I would not have anything to gripe about.   ( Or blog) I still want to make an Asagi koi.    The blue paper was supposed to be that;  but stuff happens.   Mistakes were made,   usually upon various comets and asteroids. And when that happens,  the paper never makes it to the blog.

So before considering origami as a therapy,   consider fishing instead.   At least you get to eat your catch at the end of the day.  And it gets you out on the lake in the great outdoors!   Origami... not so much.

1 comment:

L. D. said...

I really admire that fish. I wish... and yet I know that it is a lot of time and experience to reach that high of quality. Your work is always amazing too. I can't do much more than the stork and I learned to do that back in the grade school days, from a book. I taught the stork to hundreds of kids who either liked me for doing so or said they hated the whole process. I like the technical detail.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails