Saturday, September 8, 2018

Boletius Maximus! Rain Brings Out The Stinkhorns, Puffballs, and Crazy Bike Riders.

So Much Rain!
 What a crazy, wet-filled week!  I believe it has rained here every day this week.   There has been a constant threat of flooding all around.   The rivers and fields seem to be at their max currently, with more rain predicted this weekend.  Fingers crossed that the flood stage drops a bit before more is added.
Cheryl rides anyway!

In the mean time, we have been continuing our habit to exercise a little each day after work.   A mix or running and biking has kept our minds off the fact that we have no internet at home  and life is meaningless...  Sometimes it works.

She Smiles in the face of  misery 
Sometimes, things jump in to remind you about how tough life can be.  For instance,  The Rain!  Our 15 mile ride gets cut down to ten.   Cheryl's 10 mile run gets cut down to 5.   And each time, we still manage to get wet, because it simply will not hold off untill we are finished.


Dog Stinghorn

But one cool thing about the rain is that it brings out the Mushrooms.   I seem to be the only one impressed by this.   Cheryl tolerates it ever so slightly. Last Wednesday, the Dog Stinkhorns were out!   They must have been growing while we passed them by.   I will let you use your imagination as to why it is called the Dog Stinkhorn.   See that dark slime on the underside of the cap?  Those are the spores..  sliding down in slime mode.   I'm not sure why they call it "stink"

The Spore slime smells like Mushrooms.
Spores leaking on the outside...
 It simply smells strongly of mushrooms.   I guess the smell attracts flies and they land on the spores to spred them.    I tried to capture the rich bright red/ orange/ pink color.  The mushroom does not last long,  it had disappeared the next day...  and several new ones appeared in differant areas.  I have read they are edible, but I think I will pass on this one.

Some Type of Ink Cap?


Lots of Small Puffballs.
Other mushrooms like Puffballs and Inkies bloomed out.   I gathered all the puffballs I could carry and cooked them up for dinner each night.   We even found a puffball in our own yard!   Puffballs are supposed to have all kinds of good medicinal junk in them.  Mostly against other microbes and viruses.  All that matters to me is how they taste...which is delish!
Pretty Gills. 

Let's eat the Puffs, Boletes, and Chants.

Say Hello to the Colorful Parrot Waxycap!

Lots of colors in this one.
Red gills?  No wait!  Yellow?  Orange?  Salmon?

There have been so many mushrooms popping out with the rain, but just a few more worth mentioning.   One:  The Parrot Waxy Cap!   Red, Green, Yellow... all with a translucent irridecent color shimmer.  I can only hope the camera captures some of that color.   They bruise black, so that color does not last too long after you pick it up and handle it.  Still,  what a little gem.
Gills under the Light.  Bruises black.
Small One, So many Colors!











A Chanterelle Look-a-like.
Jack-O-Lanterns. 
The Infamous Jack-O-Lantern.   They say they look like Chanterelles.  Given that deep rich orange color and the gills,  I think I am confident enough now to tell the difference.   By the way, these guys did not glow in the dark as promised.  I have read somewhere that certain conditions have to be met for that to happen.... apparently,  those conditions are not met in my dark little closet.
Dark orange with gills!

KING BOLETE! I feel like a king holding it.!

Looks like a Sponge?  Crazy!
Looks like bread.  "Penny Bun?"
And lastly:   The King Bolete.   THIS is why it is called the King!    It was HUGE!   Possibly over a pound and a half.  Asside from the giant puffball,  I doubt many other ground species get this big or heavy.  (Oysters and Hoof Mushrooms grow on trees.)

Cheryl holds it.  Fresh from the Baker.


Past its prime.  How sad.    

Ugg!  Looks like moldy cheese.
There were several of them that had already rotted, but this one was "fresh enough" to pick and bring home.  Only after cutting it open did we realize that it was past its prime as well.   I was so disappointed!  I have been chasing this mushroom all summer and finally they have been poping out like mad, only to have them rot before I can find them.   Having a job also complicates things since I can't go out and look for them every day.  Ah well,   the search continues.


It has taken over he entryway.

Crazy Cardinal Creeper.

The rain has also been doing a number on my plants.   The Cardinal Creeper has taken over the front and the back of the apartment complex.  The hummingbirds, I imagine, are having the time of their lives! 


The Hummers Love it!
Have to push the vines back up.
It will take over the garden soon.
There are several of them at the moment, and with all these flowers, they no longer have to fight over the feeders.  I only wish it had not taken so long for the flowers to bloom.




More Mushrooms!   Yummy.







Hope everyone is staying dry.  Tonight will be the first night in a while I have not been able to eat any mushrooms that I have found myself.




Eating "Super ( Delicious) Foods!"  Enjoy!
 Kinda disappointing.   I somehow have managed not to get bored of them yet.   I hope the trend continues because finding harvesting and eating the mushrooms you find yourself is uniquely satisfying.   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails