Thursday, September 16, 2021

Finally! The Chicken Of The Woods Appears.

Today,  while running in Coralville today,  we found our Elusive Chicken Of the Woods!  

There is no mistaking it!   We were here last Monday and it was not out yet.  I figured we either had lost it forever, or  the log that it grew on was covered by the fallen tree.  Turns out.. The latter was the correct assessment. 

Cheryl had to climb under the tree to get it.   IT was FRESH!   Super fresh!   Soft and rubbery and a bright blaze orange.   We cut off the sections and brought them home. 

One thing about the Chicken of the woods is you have to eat it right away.  I'm not sure if it dries well and I know we are not going to pickle it.  ( I have seen videos on the process, but I'm not realy to tackle that just yet. 

Besides, Chicken of the Woods is best eaten fresh!   And so Cheryl and I purchased a package of buns and set out to have them for dinner this evening.  We even have a fresh heirloom tomato from the garden to add to the mix.  Cheryl was quite happy.   

Even Hiro wanted in on the action.  Perhaps he would eat it thinking it was chicken, but most likely he was after the Mayo.   Either way, Cheryl refused to share. 

We have enough for several more meals if we pace things right.   I think it will last just sitting out on the kitchen table.  Earlier this summer, we purchased a half pound from a mushroom dealer and he just had them sitting out on a table.  Seems like it would be better than sitting in the forest where the bugs could get it. 

I just finished another cat for the sidewalk.  I barely beat the kids before they arrived home from school.  No one wants to talk to kids at 3:30 in the afternoon.  Especially folks who draw on the sidewalk.  All they do is ask obvious questions..." Are you the guy who draws on the sidewalk?  What are you making?   It that a cat?   Is this all you do everyday?   Don't you have a real job? "   

So obviously,  I can't stand them.   But I was young as well... a long, LONG time ago.   Thankfully, I have forgotten just how annoying I was to adults.  But leave it to kids to remind me.  Such fun...

Hope everyone is having a find Thursday.  Life is whole once again with Subie at our side. Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am sure I mowed some in the woods:) Nice cat...and those kids will be back to drive you nuts again soon!

Val Ewing said...

I've seen Chicken of the Woods once this year! Neat. I'm still a bit gun shy of eating them. I also saw Hen of the Woods a few days ago.
And yesterday I found tons of boletes...I think under pines?

Oh. I love kids and kid questions. But then I have taught kids as a 4H leader and other ways. I did want to be a teacher but did not like the classroom setting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails