Saturday, December 3, 2022

A Happy Cold And Windy Saurday From Wisconsin!

Happy Saturday!   The Weekend is in full swing and I find myself too wimpy to go outside into the freezing cold wind chill.  Last night was 48 degrees and calm.  I even went out for a 3 mile run!   

But BOOM!   The cold weather hammer fell and here we are with strong wind advisories and temps in the low 20's.   It might actually not be bad in the sunshine, if it weren't for that terrible, biting wind.   

If this were true, men would go to the laundromat instead of the gym.

So what does one do when Mushroom hunting and other outdoor activities are off the table?   Well,   since it is Saturday,  I get to catch up on a bunch of things that I have been too busy to do during the work week. ( Including Blogging! )  I have already finished the laundry and did the morning work out grind in the basement.   Subie's blower fan has been acting up again, so I got to play with that for a while.   And... I get to program my new phone!

Ah!  Yes.... The New Phone!   Not actually "New" new...  ( "New New in the fan... Brink!"  Inside joke.)  It is Dave's "Old" phone...  Which is still light years ahead of my fossil android phone.  So the term "new" is relative.   Dave has gone over to the "Apple" side of the Force.   And has abandoned the path of the Android. ( Are my Star Wars references coming through?   I have not watched any of the new movies, so maybe I'm a little dated.)   Leaving me with his old Samsung Galaxy.   All that was missing was for an old man Jedi to give it to me on an old smuggling freighter.  And then I can begin the "Hero's Journey!" 

But getting back to the actual phone...  There are a number of features that I never knew about.   The first one was the power cord.   I have several cables for my old phone, but none of them fit the Samsung.   And finding a specific cable for the Samsung Galaxy was difficult!  Luckily,   They sell adapters!   And I picked up two... one for the car and one for my nightstand.    And the Adapters are far cheaper than the actual cable, which is ONLY good for the Galaxy phone.  ( I think the connector is called the "C" version.)  So now charging up will no longer be an issue.  

And then there are the ways to unlock your phone.   "Biometrics!" They call it.  Apparently,   I can now use my DNA to tell the phone that it is me that is using it.   Back in the "old Days"....I used to have to type a 4 digit  code to unlock the phone.   Now...... All I have to do is lick the screen!  

Or use my finger print.    Or stare longingly into the two orbs as it scans my retinas.   

Or all of the above.. with the secret password that I have already forgotten. 

I settled for the fingerprint.   Because licking the screen seemed rather gross.   And unsanitary.  And staring at my phone to unlock it while driving seemed rather unsafe.  The only bad thing about the finger print is that I  have to hold the phone in my left hand, so if I only have my right hand available, I will be out of luck.   Hurray for Identity Security!

Other than that, I changed over my info and now get to see how all of the apps work.  It might take a while to see all of the features, like how the camera works as compared to the last one.   As long as it has more than 15 minutes of battery life, I'm all for it. 

As mentioned before,  Subie's blower motor has thrown a bearing.  This is  causing it to make funny noises while in operation;  Or just stop working completely!  Last time I replaced the resistor, and that seemed to fix the problem.  But now I am pretty sure the blower is on it's last legs. ( or bearings..)   Which, I'm ok with.  Because I love working on Subie!  And I get to fix something as easy as this.  

The part is supposed to arrive later today, but I may patch it all up tomorrow morning before Church.  We shall see how motivated I am when the time comes.   ( Especially in the cold!)  Speaking of cold...  Blowers are awfully handy when you have to defrost your windshield.   So fixing it is kind of a big deal.  

New New in the Fan!   -BRRRRINKKKK!-

Wow!  Another long post about nothing!   Hope everyone has an awesome rest of your weekend.   Stay warm!  And hopefully find something fun to do inside with friends and family... Or with your Subaru.  Thanks for stopping in.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I did not know that you could lick a phone to unlock it. Visions of a tongue stuck to a pump pop through my brain! Mine sometimes fails to recognize me especially if I am all bundled up with only my eyes showing:) Bitterly cold here. Good luck fixing the Subies blower fan yes you possibly need to defrost windows...I am not sure hanging your head out the window would be fun. Have a good weekend!

Val Ewing said...

Ewww on the licking part. Oh yeah, I have an old crappy phone. I have some Motorola thing. But it works. I'd love something like what you have!...Maybe.

Enjoy the cold windy weather. Not much else you can do with it.

Stephanie said...

Hi Ethan,

Sorry for stocking stalking, but I want to know if there's any way we can bribe you and Cheryl into making us a basset hound Christmas stocking for our new baby. This would be our sixth stocking, to match the ones for me, my husband, our two dogs, and our first son, and we are willing to pay pretty much whatever you ask to have it made. If this is at all possible, please hit me up on Etsy, where I left a desperate message a couple weeks ago, or email me at stephycha@gmail.com. Thank you!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails