Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Mid Week Turkey Tail.

A quick post about the latest Mushroom finds:  Turkey Tail!   We had a bit of rain over the last two days and the cooler weather has blown in.   Unfortunately,  the cold weather has also dampened the mushroom hunting along with the warm weather.   However,  I did manage to find some new growth Turkey Tail on one of the logs that popped up earlier this summer. 

Being fresh is the best time to harvest and grind it up... so I discovered.   The hard way!   My poor coffee grinder did not like dry, hardened Turkey Tail at ALL!   And would often overheat trying to chop up those bits of ferrous metal

Pretty colors!

But today, I managed to harvest a basket full and process it all.   It is now ready for future tea moments....  

By the way... It taste awful!   Maybe not "awful"  but pretty bad.   Like dirt mostly.... with a little mushroom flavor.   The best tip I can give is to brew it with other tea flavors.  Preferably ones that have a strong flavor.  And lots of sweetener, milk and/or honey!  

Why drink it?   The benefits to health!   Turkey tail boosts immunity and cancer resistance.  And who would not want that?  

And it is a mushroom... And I like mushrooms. 

Oh!   And in case it needs to be mentioned:  Dave and I both ate the Shaggy Parasol mushroom and survived without any ill effects. No tummy ache,  no bathroom emergencies,  and no dying!   Plus!  It was a pretty good tasting mushroom!   So I consider that a success.  The Shaggy Parasol is not a beginner mushroom...  So that means we have leveled up!   In out "Mushroom Aptitude and Competency."   And we can add another Mushroom to our bag for future harvests.

Mid week already!   The week flies by.   I had the opportunity to help Cheryl change out one of the headlights in the Bean Subaru tonight.   One of them had burned out and she had to replace it.  Not an easy task for one who has never worked on a car before.   But she pulled it off like a champ with a little coaching from me.  Over the phone.... texting.   Good thing I'm not a 2 writer.  ( inside scoring joke.) 

Better make this post short.  I have to get up for work tomorrow and it is already getting late.   Thanks for stopping in. 

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Good for you on instructing the headlight change! Wow.

I'll pass on the Turkey Tail Tea thanks. I have had Chaga Tea though and it looked simply nasty. So i guess Turkey Tail wouldn't be SO bad!

Great finds and now I think we have to soon say goodbye to fungi season. :(

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow that shows you that Cheryl can follow directions! That Turkey Tail id very colorful...I don't like many teas:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails