Sunday, October 30, 2022

Weekend Mushroom Finds. From The Family Pleurotus.

 That is "Oyster Mushrooms" for the non-fluent Latin speakers. ( Which is everyone except Latin teachers and Scientists.)   This weekend,  between small tasks and events,  we managed to find a few Late Fall Oyster Mushrooms of several different varieties.   Dave offered his Mushroom Finding services to me on Satureday, and I happily took him up on it.  He is, after all, an "Eagle Eye"  when it comes to finding mushrooms.  

I was also happy that he pretty much found all of the mushrooms on Saturday.   It is fun finding mushrooms that you can eat and readily identify.   These are Fall Oyster... I don't know the scientific name.... but it is Fall... and we did find them. So I think the name shall remain. 

It was  a pretty nice cluster.  Enough for a decent meal at least.  Given the color and the yellow staining, I think it is an Angel  Wing Oyster Mushroom. Dave also found some Honey Mushrooms and an small hen of the woods that was past its prime.  ( we brought it home anyway...)  There was also plenty of Fresh Turkey Tail out there. 

Today was the special Reformation service at the Highschool.   Dave and I went to go help set things up, but managed to miss the big event.  On the bright side, I was there to help tear everything down after the service, so I think it all evens out.  There was also coffee and goodies after the service.   Good times! 

I managed to head out on a solo expedition this afternoon checking out new territory.  I did not find many, but the ones I did find were HUGE!   Pleurotus Levis... I think.  It could also be Pleurotus Dryinus.  Both are  edible, from what I gather.   Although the word "Choice" is often left out.  Mostly because it seems like a very tough mushroom.  I will see how adventurous Dave is in the future, for trying such an item.  

Pretty firm and tough.

I also saw some wildlife along the way.   The small steam that cuts through the property had Salmon spawning in it.  Try as I might, it was impossible to take its picture without the glare of the water getting in the way. 

Some were a little too far out of reach for me.

There was also a deer eating on the football field near the park entrance.   Full sunshine!  Not a care in the world.  I paused for a moment to try to head back for a photo... but  Everyone has seen a deer already and it would have been difficult to capture. 

Los of small fall oysters that are past their prime.

Work tomorrow.  I better get some rest and hopefully get over this little sinus issue before morning.  IT ha driving me crazy lately.  However,  I think I'm getting better now.  No sore throat or cough.  Just the constant sniffles.   Grrrr.  Change in the weather perhaps. 

Well I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.  Weekends seem to fly by so quickly lately.   I forgot to mention that I showed Subie some love by changing the oil and Rainex-ing the window. He is good to go for the next 3000 miles!  I also got him back from the Mechanic on Thursday after having all 4 bearings replaced.   From the sound of it, he was definitely overdue.  

Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You had a fun weekend! Hope you have a good week!

Val Ewing said...

Awesome on the fungi front. Jealous.
I may go out with my fungi friend tomorrow again and take a gander around.

Looks like you really did well!

Wednesday I am doing a long hike. Maybe I should take a basket along!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails