Sunday, October 23, 2022

Trunk Or Treat And The Shaggy Parasol.

Yesterday was a busy day.   There was a Crock Pot cook off, A Trick or Trunk... Or something like that.   And I won at Cribbage!  Did I mention we went out to Red Robins?  Ah...   Well,  I shall start from the beginning. 

After a morning run,  Dave's Son came over and we had a good chat while playing Cribbage.   Cribbage is kind of a thing here in the Pagel family,   and I have been invited to join in from time to time.   Dave is usually the master, but occasionally his kids get the better of him.   And once in a while a Dark hose like me is able to pull off a miracle.   I squeaked out a one point win after coming from behind!  I'm still in disbelief!  

With hardly any time to spare, we piled in to the car and raced off to the Crock Pot Cook off!   Dave was a judge, and I tagged along for some home cooked comfort food.   For $5!  I got to sample all of the dishes...  Total Bargain.   

I don't have any pics of the event, but the turn out was rather disappointing.   I'm sure the ladies put their heart and soul into their creations and Dave and I were among the handful of folks who showed up.   The good news of this was that Dave and I also entered the silent auction on many of the baskets that were provided.   We won almost Everything we bid on!  ( Dave lost the Bears Tickets for some Family Member who is a Bears fan.)  I won coffee and a Klean Kanteen!  Yeah!  

Then... Off to the next event.   Trunk or Treat!   The Church was throwing a community event and over 300 folks showed up!   The parking lot was completely full and Dave had to direct traffic  and guide people to park in ways that was not normal.  To say it was a success would probably be an understatement.  

Lots of kids showed up and showed off their costumes.   Christina got in the mood by scaring the crap out of small children in her spooky Witch outfit.   And there was lots of candy and activities for everyone.  Caramel apples, cookies, sugar sugar and more sugar to help the parents sleep at night.  It was a successful outreach for the church. 

And afterwards... Red Robin for burgers.  Several of the other "Trunk Buddies" joined us at the gathering. 

Today,  I was able to do a little forest Therapy after church and hunt for any new mushrooms.   The pickings were slim, even though the weather has been fantastic this weekend.   I did manage to bring the camera though, and capture a few Autumn moments. 

The color has been spectacular this year.  Then again, I'm n Wisconsin. It helps where there are lots of trees.   I didn't find many mushrooms, but I did find the Shaggy Parasol.   An Edible mushroom,  although there is strong caution behind it.   It still might make you sick, even if fully cooked!  But the taste is supposed to be pretty good and there are recipes.   It is not the Parasol mushroom.. which is also edible and has less of a warning attached to it.   We shall see how frisky I feel tomorrow.   And if I actually roll the dice and try a small bit of it to see if the taste is worth the risk.  Hey!  At least it wont kill me.  

One of the cool features is that it stains orange when you cut the stem.   First yellow.... then orange.   Pretty cool. 

Back to work tomorrow.  I thought I would have been able to blog during the week last week, but nothing really happened that would have been blog worth.  AND the entire week ran by so quickly, I hardly had time to do much of anything.   I should mention I got my eyes checked ( Apparently, I'm blind and need new glasses.)  and Subie is in the shop to get his rear end checked out.   ( A rear bearing, methinks.)  The verdict is still up in the air as for how much my glasses will cost or the car repair will set me back.   But I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to afford it all.   Hopefully.  

Puffball Fun!

Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

The trails are so beautiful there this time of year!

I hope the Subie and the glasses don't cost an arm and a leg....
But it sounds like you had a great weekend.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You had a busy weekend! The chalk drawings are great! What a wonderful outing for kids and you:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails