Saturday, May 6, 2023

When All Else Fails.... Try Volunteering!

A series of events happened this week that I would almost consider a Miracle.  Perhaps a little small for most people, but I believe no miracle is too small for God and to those who are influenced by such a miracle.   So let me explain 

I was planning on heading to Iowa this weekend to help Cheryl with a Garage sale.   But then the plans were cancelled.   I then was planning on driving Dave's sister to the Airport.   That also changed.  I had plans to do some heavy mushroom hunting this weekend here in Wisconsin. But every time I head out to my favorite places,  I have not been encouraged by the harvest. ( A few pinning Dryad Saddles and a "gifted" half morel I found on the trail.   Someone else found them and left the two on the small bike path I was on in the woods.)   So what would I do with my new found weekend? 

Well, it happens that the Wisconsin Marathon  and Half Marathon was here in Kenosha this weekend!   I  could run another Half Marathon!  

And...  I have a Co-worker that will also be running the Half Marathon with her son.   So I technically would not be running it totally alone.   ( Technically.   Everyone runs their own race alone.) 

However.   Miracles continue.    I filled out the form on Wednesday night and tried to pay for the race... Three Times!  Each time,  my card was declined.  There was no reason.  The card was good.  The entry deadline was not until race morning.  There was no earthly reason why I should not have been able to pay for the race and join in on the fun  of self-inflicted pain. 

But then I thought.   I could  volunteer!

  I have often wondered what it takes to be one of the volunteers at one of these races.    Turns out... No cost!  You usually get some of the swag ( shirt, mug, jacket, bananas....etc. ) and all you have to do is direct traffic, hand out water, or hand out the medals.  That sounds kind of fun,  right? 

Pre-Sun rise.

Well,   I click the volunteer button and choose the "floating volunteer" who will help out where ever there is need...   And "Poof!"    I'm in! 

Sun rising over Lake Michigan!
Preparing for registration.

I did not rely on the 6:30 start time.   Especially when the race stars at 7:00 A.M.  So I woke up ridiculously early (2:30 A.M.!) and showed up several hours before the race started.   It was 51 degrees, but began raining early on.   I was lucky to be put in charge of the T-shirt hand out at the register tent.   People were signing up for the race even at that late of an hour!  

Sun rising.

At least it was sheltered from the rain and wind. And we were able to watch the sun rise over Lake Michigan.  A phenomenon I have only witnessed one other time  here on the Wisconsin side of the Lake.   Very pretty. 

  I didn't know if I would see Marion ( the Co-worker who was running the race) but she and her son happened to stop by for a question.  A familiar face at last!  I wished her luck and cheered her on.  

As the race neared,  I found myself helping out in the baggage claim area.   It was less sheltered from the rain and not sheltered at all from the wind!  The temp dropped into the 40's and I was wishing I had brought warmer clothes.   I luckily remembered I had my Work Gore-Tex in the trunk of the car.  That helped a little. 

Overall,  the task was easy and fun.  It might have been better had the weather been nicer for us.  But then the runners would have had to deal with  less than optimal conditions. Many of them commented that today was "perfect running conditions" for them.  I think Cheryl might have agreed. She tends to like the cold.   And does not shy away from running in the rain.  I'll have to ask Marion about her experience later on Monday.  I saw that she and her son had both finished the race.  But both of them headed out  shortly after before I could congratulate them. 

So now... after a long nap,   I have nothing left for the day.  I will do Laundry tomorrow and possibly a couple of the embroidery projects I have lined up.   The rain might have helped the Mushroom condition....  So a Hunt might also be in the works.  And if nothing else,  I would just run  through the park to get in some exercise.  

By the way.   I didn't get a shirt.  Or a jacket.   Or a mug!  But I did get s couple of Bananas and a rice cake.  I probably could have asked about getting one, but decided sleep was more important at that point in the day.  I do know that they offered  a Beer and Brat at the local pub three blocks away.  But again, I did not want to fight any more crowds and just wanted to get dry and warm.

The Verdict?   Volunteering was not a terrible experience.   It was actually kind of fun.  And if all of your other plans fall through,   it was a pleasant alternative that I would recommend! It's just like running the race with the early start time, cold conditions, and foul weather...  But without the sore leg "gimp" afterwards.  And you even get a banana when it is all over.  (And possibly a shirt, beer and brat!  If you actually want those things.)  Similar to the Half Marathon experience...  I might be willing to attempt Volunteering again.  

Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I volunteered to help out with water once...I didn't know I was supposed to hold out the glass so they could grab it as they ran and they all threw the cups on the ground which I thought was rude:( That was my first and last time volunteering at a race:)

Val Ewing said...

My son and his gang of CrossFit runners probably ran through there doing either the half or full. It would be perfect weather for that run.
I'm glad it was a good experience for you seeing as that everything else seemed to have changed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails