Thursday, August 17, 2017

An Evening with Bats in Iowa.

We have had some cooler nights lately...  And Cheryl, with her injury still bothering her,  has consented to evening walks.   I like the evening walks in Iowa.   Well, not the walking part so much.   But I do like the Fawna we get to see.   Like Deer!


I also like feeding the horses and dogs we see along the way.

 And every now and then a colorful sunset.


But most impressive were the bats the other day.    There were so many flying bugs in the cornfields, that it looked as if it were snowing!   ( Pity the pictures did not turn out with the setting sun blinding everything)  But as the sun set, the bats came out in force!   I have seen several fluttering around our house, but this night there were dozens!   Very cool.   We found a dead one ( after a rather windy storm) and I believe they are the "Big Brown Bat" Species.  ( That is the actual name.  Look it up..)


And lastly,   for the last week,  I have seen this Cuckoo bird chasing around its adopted parent.   I knew that a Parasite bird had invaded one of the locals nests.  ( I saw the casualties on the sidewalk)

But the Cuckoo confirms it.  He is at least three times larger than his parents and they feverishly attempt to stuff him with anything that is edible.   Sometimes Nature can be so insidious with it's strategies for survival.  Killing unborn young and replacing it with your own is simply appalling.  But it apparently works.   Who ever said Mother Nature was fair and just?   ( She is NOT!)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far.   Cheryl and I have been working on our next presentation for the Farmer's Market.  Fingers crossed on how things go this time.

1 comment:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What lovely sights to enjoy on your walks.
We have deer in the garden every night, they drink from the birdbaths, and eat our flowers and bushes. Now we have three new fawns as well as mothers and fathers, the herd just keeps growing.....
I saw several bats tonight at dusk, after a day of mowing, I'm sure they were feasting on a buffet of insects.
Thank you for sharing your lovely videos.
~Jo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails