Monday, February 19, 2018

Subie's Power Steering Flush On A Rainy Iowa Day.

It really was Easy.  Quick?  Kinda. 
Cheryl has finally succumbed to my nagging and allowed me to touch the car once again.  Today, I attempted my first Power Steering Flush.  Similar to a coolant flush, oil change, and Brake shoe replacement, I have never attempted one of these "simple tasks".... until I DID!
Don't be this guy....
Now I can pretend to be one of those super annoying people who rave how "easy" it is and how you are wasting your money by not doing such a simple task yourself.  ( I hate those guys!)

The Drama Cat!
Between the car, the cat, and the Wife...  It appears as if I'm the only person with a solid footing on reality, here.   Everyone around me is so dramatic!   The cat coughs like he has a permanent hair ball, 
I should say: let's me FIX my Subaru.
  Subie hesitates and groans when he turns or the weather changes, and Cheryl complains about her legs being useless for running.  I can't fix everyone at once!  So I'll start with the one I care about most:  The Car!    
   (I should say,  Attempt to fix....Just want to clear that up.)

I think I can do it for less.  
It really is pretty straight forward.   Simply hook up a hose to the return line,  turn on the car,  turn the wheel until the fluid is empty, button up and refill.  There are a number of  different ways to do it.  Some more complex than others... But that is the gist of it. I chose to flush a little clean stuff through while turning the wheel, just so the system would not run dry.  But all in all,  I think it was a success.  Nothing seems broken.   The car turns smoothly.  No really loud sounds happen when I turn. And the hesitation seems to be gone once again.  Fingers crossed that it lasts this time.   So far.... so good.  (Did I mention I didn't break it further this time? I'm always impressed when I don't break the Subie more!



With 2 quarts of power steering fluid and about 6 feet of  3/4 inch clear plastic hose,  I'll say I invested about $7-8 bucks.  One of the main reasons for my DIY is to save money.  The Other is to not look like an idiot that can't fill his own gas tank or change his own tire.  (If you are one of those people,  Don't be offended...  just take the bus or subway.) 

Two days ago... SNOW!
Today!   RAIN!  with shorts.







Cheryl  soldiers on with her new rain gear.
Slowing down in the fog.





As for the Iowa Weather....  It's raining.   Two days ago.   Snow!   Today,   Rain and 53 degrees. Most of the snow is gone and I'll wager that there will be flood warnings before the end of the night.  Word has it it will drop back down below freezing two days from now.   That should be loads of fun! 
Avoiding puddles.

The pace and the rain pick up just as we finish.  
Still, the warm weather allowed Cheryl to dress up in her spring running attire.   Even though it was not exactly the perfect running weather,  the warmer temps were more  welcome when compared to the cold snow, ice, and wind.  We almost completed the run before the rain started back up, but it has been a while since we ran in the rain.  Luckily, we were dressed for it and did not have to experience the typical misery. 

I'm still impressed that I got the power steering system flushed before it started to rain again. I was almost finished when it really began to come down.  Perhaps there will be thunder and lightning tonight.   It's always fun to sleep during a thunder storm.   As long as there is no flooding going on.   Thanks for stopping in. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails