Saturday, July 14, 2018

A Fine Summer Day.

Rainy bike Ride

Well,  Fine for Iowa I guess.   It continues to be hot here.   With a rather obnoxious humidity.   It has been raining off and on today.   And the temps have cooled about 10 degrees with the coming front.   But that Humidity..  Baaa!   You sweat even when you are not doing anything strenuous.

Subie Front.. looks pretty good!
Cheryl and I went out for our usual 15 miles bike ride.   And just finished capping things off with a fried food dinner.   Mushrooms and some onion rings.   With some Big Grove Beer.  Yum!   What could be better on a hot summer day?  ( Ok,  Lots of things I guess, but this is one of them!)
West Main Wheat Beer.  Summer tasty!


Cheryl inspects the Tomatoes. 
I should note that the heat and humidity are having a positive effect on the tomatoes!  I did not have to water them today, thanks  to the rain,  but the humidity and constant sunshine have really sped up the ripening process.

Sampling the Cherry Tomatoes 
Are they red yet?
   The Cherry Tomatoes are already turning colors.   I picked a few and sampled them.  I'm sure they have not reached their true potential, but I still found them sweet and tasty.  I can't wait for the heirlooms to start ripening.  If things work out, I'll be blogging about tomato sandwiches again in no time.


Similar to a hummingbird moth.
Along with the rise in Tomato plants,  comes the potential for a 5 spotted hawk moth to come visit.   i.e. a Tomato Horn Worm.   Personally,  I like these things.   They look like tiny humming birds hovering around the Hastas.
Last year's friend.

And they are a Brilliant, Large Moth!   But to get to that phase,  they need to eat.   My plants are so huge, I doubt they would even notice a few leaves missing.  Heck, I prune off entire branches just to get them under control!   So why not let this cute little guy have a
 feast for a while.

Let's move him here...
I found a new friend!
The problem is,  I removed him and se him up on the potted plants.  I thought he would be safer there,  but after a day, he went missing.   I'm kinda bummed as I wanted to see him grow up and transform... like last year.  I'm hoping that he got bored of the smaller plants and left on his own.  But we do have a bunch of wasps and hornets and ants around here that would find him to be a tasty meal. I did not want any harm to come to him, that was not my intention of moving him.  I probably should have put him in a small container and fed him... like a pet.  Then, at least, I would know he was fine.

Summer Boletes
Clam shell Mushrooms!
I'm hoping that the rains will bring about the Boletes in the Coralville path.  The larger ones happen mid to late summer.  With our little fried mushroom dinners,  I would be interested to sample a new mushroom.  Incidentally,   We tested out a new mushroom today.  the Clam Shell mushroom...  From Michigan!    Wouldn't you know that Michigan would begin growing Hops and Mushrooms AFTER we left it.   (As if they did not want to do those things simply because we lived there.)   Cheryl noted that they were "tougher" than the button mushrooms and I thought they had the texture and taste of clams.   Hence... the name.   Cheryl wants to have them again.... and that is saying quite a bit.
Taste like.... Clams!   From Michigan!

Hope everyone is staying cool out there.   And if you are not playing in the rain,   or do not like getting wet,  then stay dry and enjoy the summer from your covered porch. ( or other dry, shaded place.)   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails