Sunday, July 22, 2018

Finding the Unusual In Iowa.

Two Headed Foxtail.
Most things around here are rather boring...so when you DO find something that causes you to look twice,  I think it is Blog-worthy.  Maybe I'm just easily impressed.


Ever seen a two headed Foxtail Grass?   I hear that Two-headed grasses are kind of unique.  We used to see two headed fish in the hatchery all the time, but they never lived past swim up.  Once the yolk was absorbed, they would not make it.   I'm thinking that Grasses have an easier time of it.   All they have to do to survive is soak up that sun.   Anyway, I can't remember ever seeing anything like this, though it may be more common that my own limited world view.   Maybe Landscapers would be more familiar with it.
A large snail on the path.  

Cheryl runs 13.1 miles today. 
We found a snail on the path today.   Many times we see the slime trails, but this is the first time I have seen a snail of this size crossing.   I helped him out so he would not get crushed but some unsuspecting cyclist or runner.  Pretty neat seeing one in the flesh.


Named after Terry. 
Not this guy. 
Cheryl ended up running 13.1 miles for a training run today.  The weather was cool and overcast, which probably helped.  She is enjoying the "New" Trueblood Trail that we discovered.   Trueblood sounds like a Twilight Vampire Hero, but in reality it is the name of some lady who died.   I guess Public Service men die here, they name a bridge after you.   If Public Service Women die,  then name a park/nature trail after you.   Kinda a sweet deal...though I hope never to have anything named after me.  It's bad enough they think I sell furniture!

Running makes her HUNGRY!

She wanted to make it herself. 









Running 13.1 miles deserves Ice Cream!   And Cheryl wanted to indulge in another Peanut Parfait similar to the one she had at Tee's.   She took it upon herself to make her own.   I think she will enjoy things this way.   


Summer Oyster Mushrooms.

After riding and running,  we checked out the Trail in Coralville to  see if the Boletes were out yet.   No luck!








Note the Attached gills. 

They do not glow in the dark.
  But we did find some Oyster Mushrooms that we could actually reach this time!  I figured with all the rain and cooler weather,  something had to be coming out. 



Mini- Puffballs.
Still fresh and white inside.
We also noticed a small cluster of Puffballs.   These guys were pretty small, but still white inside and probably edible.  ( I believe most puffballs are safe, but the smaller ones are passed over because of their size.)

No Help Wanted In Marshalltown!  

And I managed to survive my disaster sickness yesterday.  Not a lot of fun.  In addition,  Cheryl discovered that the Local Officials in Marshalltown were telling the people in Iowa to Stay away from the city!   Apparently,  the sight seers were getting in the way of the "Professional Disaster People..."   EWWWW   !   So Important!    I think I have already mentioned that most things in Iowa are rather boring.  ( or "simple", if you prefer.)   And when something actual happens... Like say... a  TORNADO!  People get rather excited and flock to see what happened.
Tonight's' Entertainment!

I have seen this behavior before,  at a Local Barn burning.    There were so many people there that the fire trucks barely could get by.   No one was hurt, but it was a show for a couple of days.  The actual fire only lasted about 40 minutes.  We were on our usual walk at the time...  but we chose to to get too close.

But who will help lift the big stuff?  
I'm not sure if Marshalltown was talking about the volunteers that were there.   There were a couple of busses, that I would think were part of the relief effort.  I don't think there was much we could do to help,  given that we lacked a chainsaw and construction gear.   But we got the blog story and made sure Grandpa's house was still standing.   Mission accomplished!

Hope everyone is having a fine Sunday.  It is a wonderful day to be outside.   Best to enjoy the cooler summer weather while you can.   Thanks for stopping in!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails