Tuesday, July 3, 2018

'Twas The 3rd Of July, And Cheryl Readys for Fireworks.

HAHA!   No Need!   
Wild Oyster Mushrooms.
First,  I should probably post that I'm alive and well after sampling several of those species of Mushroom.   No tummy ache, nausea, hallucinations, or Death...so I would consider that a success!   (What can I say,  I live life on the edge... leaning towards danger!)   

The Store ones taster better.

A couple of notes:   The oyster mushrooms were rather old and slightly more bitter than the ones I get in the store.   Possibly because they were past their prime for harvest.   Having never harvested them from the wild before, I'm sure that will continue to be a trial and error learning experience.   At least they did not kill me.
Wonder why they are called "Milky caps"?

Second,  the Milky Cap.   Firm flesh and a wonderful rubbery chew.   A little bland, but I'm sure if I had harvested enough of them and actually added a little flavor (I only heated it up in some olive oil... to make sure it was safe to eat.)  I think it could have been an enjoyable experience.   On par with the Trumpet Mushrooms I buy at the Asian Market.   At least it was not one of the bitter or spicy hot ones... Oh!  And it did not kill me!
Chanterelle:   Perfectly normal mushroom. 


But some flavor required.
Last:  The Chanterelle.  Not the knock out I was expecting, but very much like the mushrooms you get in the store.  (Both Flavor and Texture)  Maybe they would have been better had I added some flavor and ate them when they were fresh as well.  I still have a few drying on my desk, but will probably let them go back out into the yard.  I simply would need more to be able to do anything with them.   And best of all.... They did not kill me.
I could make a Mushroom Tea...

All the other mushrooms in that picture either are too old now or are unidentified.   I'll have to put them out in the yard along with the others.   It was fun,  but without a group,  I doubt I will be carving out a section of my diet for them.  Still,  the knowledge gained is priceless.   Especially when the Zombie apocalypse happens and we find ourselves foraging for food.  I would like to think I will last a little bit longer than the folks who get their food from a store....

And finally,   the 4th of July is upon us and Cheryl finds herself having to downgrade to  the Firecracker run in Moline. Illinois. She wanted to do the Red White and BOOM Half Marathon in the Twin Cities for the 4th, but work got in the way.   At least there is money to be made for the rest of the week. 
Get Ready for FUN!




And some biking along the river.
In the mean time,  only a 10k for us.   And the possibility for riding our bikes in Davenport after we enjoy that free beer.  ( Don't drink and cycle.... I know.)  At least there is a long stretch of bike trail along the Mississippi river. We should be able to burn off that extra energy she has and have some time left over to visit Tee's...  if they are still open.  I guess we will find out.

Hopefully.Tee's has a Banana spli waiting for me. 
More to blog after I get my hands on some pictures.  An with only one day to fit all that celebrating and festivities,  there is a good chance I will not be able to post anything tomorrow.   But you never know.  Maybe the bike ride, beer, and fireworks will kick up my energy levels.  We shall see!   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails