Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Chlorophyllum molybdites! The False Parasol.. And Eating the Chicken Of The Woods.

30 cm across!  

Yesterday,   Cheryl discovered a VERY large umbrella mushroom growing in the neighborhood as she went out for a short run.   Upon learning of this discovery, I jumped on the bike and tracked it down.   A large single Green Gilled specimen was in someone's  yard.   I picked it and rode home.   Lucky someone did not mow it off here in Wellman... (as Don, our Neighbor jus did today on the edge of our yard. )
Do the gills  look green? 

I had to get a spore print to positivly ID it and low and behold...  A GREEN spore print!   I was very excited, as I have never gotten a spore print this color before.   It had to be something exciting.


How about now?  
Now, I knew right away I was not going to eat this thing.  Looked too much like an Amanita "something" to take the risk.  But those green gills and green spores...had to mean something.

Green Spore Print!  Coolness. 
Turns out, it is a very common False Parasol mushroom.   Also known as Chlorophyllum molybdites,  Or false parasol, green-spored Lepiota and vomiter,   Yeah,  I like that last one too.   I wonder why it is called that....

Seems this is one of the mushrooms that is reported as  the most commonly consumed poisonous mushroom in North America.   The reason is because its look-a-like is the Shaggy Parasol... a Choice Edible mushroom.

Pretty Fairy Circles
Well,  it is very pretty and I spread it in our yard to see if I can get it to grow.  I hear they like making fairy circles in yards.  I would not mind having a pretty green-gilled mushroom growing along with my other collections.   People plant poisonous flowers and plants in heir yards all the time...  why not a mushroom.

Cheryl likes the Chicken Fingers
version. 
And finally,  I finished off the last of the Chicken of the Woods tonight.   It was possibly the best tasting mushroom I have had in a long time.   But that is rather unfair comparison.   Many of the mushrooms I have been eating are like comparing apples and oranges...  they all have unique things about them that make me love them.   Chewy, tender, sweet and almondy, cheesy, mealy and earthy.   Even meaty!   But the Chicken of the Woods has many of those properties all rolled into one. 




Chicken of the Woods Sandwich.
Tender,  Yep.   Chewy...  similar to chicken.   Easy to cook and tastes like chicken.  Cheryl was eating the finger strips all by them selves.   I tried to doctor them up with a sandwich.   A fresh home grown tomato and a small corner of cheese to finish it out.  I honestly thought I was eating a piece of Chicken!


With Tomatoes.   Yumm!
in plates or in strips. 
So,  I'm now hooked!   We have to find more, though I doubt we will be able to around here.   This was the first specimen we have found after looking all that time.   Perhaps we will widen the search and keep our secret shelves secret.  I hear lots of people do the same.
Don't Eat ME! 


Thanks for stopping in... And Avoid eating any green gilled yard mushrooms.   Unless you like the Vomitter as  an experience.     Good luck!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails