Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Working On The Subaru's Suspension And Handling... One Broken Bolt At A Time!

Today marks the third day or my "successful" attempts of repairing and replacing certain bushings and fasteners on the undercarriage of The Silver Bullet Subaru!  ( 2003 Legacy!   Over 300,000 miles!)   This is the third day,  and they have not all been congruent.  I work on one tire,  ALL DAY!  And patch him up with the new part...and run out of Daylight.   I'm forced to wait for another day where the conditions are right.  ( No rain,  Some sun,  Not too cold... etc.)

So what kind of tasks am I taking on?   Simple!  Removing and replacing the Stabilizer bar links and bushings.  Front and back.   Two bolts each job!  Sounds easy right?

Well,  The removal of the bolts IS easy...  possibly only takes 20-30 seconds with power tools.  Even getting to them is not really a challenge ( remove one tire.)  But in my case..  it's 20 seconds to break the bolt/round off the nut... and THREE HOURS ( or longer)  to grind out the old broken bolt.

Today should have been easy.  ( I have said this two other times putting on the sway bar links...) but no!  The Bolt has to break and I have to purchase a new one!  And then have to go back to buy the NUT because the old nut is ground down to a nub after I get through with it.

And all I have done so far is both sway bar links on the back and one sway bar bushing.   I still have the drivers side AND the two front tires sway bar links to tackle.  A grand total of three more days...  And probably 4 more sets of nuts and bolts.

I keep telling myself this is worth $600!   If I can do it myself.   Turns out I can!  But I will possibly spend an entire week doing the job.  Is it worth it?  Only if you don't have $600 extra bucks lying around ... And we DON'T. 

Ok,  Enough of a rant.  I managed to fix the problem.  Subie still has some noise, but at least the new part is in and I used ANTI-SEIZE on the nuts and bolts this time.    Because eventually,  that Sway bar is going to need replacing as well.  And I will be the one taking it off.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails