Sunday, January 12, 2020

And Then The Rain Fell... Coating Everything In Ice!


Shortly after I finished posting my blog yesterday,  it began to rain.   I ran outside to see if I could wipe down the Subie before realizing it was already freezing.  A thin layer of Ice was already forming on the cat doors.   I should have taken better steps after discovering that..


Cheryl and I went out for a walk in the rain... because,  Having a cold and being cooped up in the house is annoying!   Not to mention, how can we truly be miserable in a safe, warm, and comfortable Environment?  Besides,  we tend to like walking in the rain.... Sounds like one of those Romantic Love Songs....


But when we got up this morning, things had changed.  Subie was thoroughly encased in Ice!   I nearly broke a scrapper trying to clear the windows!  And the Ice had fully sealed the doors shut...  Looks like we had to rethink our plans.


For the first time ever,  I used Hot Water to defrost the car windows.  It worked so well, I can't believe I have not done it sooner.   I know why my hesitation:   Years ago in College,  we poured hot water on a "friends" car as a prank.  In Minnesota...  in -40 degree weather...  The water turned to Ice literally before our eyes!   Living in Alaska only cemented my view:  Never pour hot water on a car in freezing temps!

However, this is Iowa.   And even though it gets pretty cold here,  I think the temps were mid 20's this morning.   The hot water worked like a miracle!  Cheryl was able to scrap off any small bits that remained.

We did NOT go for a run today.   And luckily, the Salt Trucks were out and kept the roads mostly ice free.   However,  everywhere else, there was lots of Ice.   Sidewalks, fences, trees... Oh the trees!   Some were breaking due to the weight of the ice sheath.  Even here at home,  as the wind blows, the sounds of the cracking ice on the trees sounds like bags of Fritos being unwrapped.

Other than that,   Cheryl and I did not enjoy sleeping with our colds very much.  I think Cheryl is getting the symptoms faster and harder than I did.  I now have a cough, but my nose is clear.   We both ache all over.  I'm hoping it is a sign we are almost over it...

Update!  This post was supposed to be posted yesterday....  But the connection with the Internet was possibly compromised because of the ice.   Anyway,  The colds have gone from Bad to REALLY BAD.  Last night was an exercise in Misery!  We both woke up every two hours to drink water, add clothes,  Remove clothes, and toss and turn all night trying to get the joint pain to stop.   Ache-y joints and muscles,  hot flashes followed by chills.   It is pretty bad.   I am not looking forward to going to work tomorrow. With a little luck, the worst is past us and now we can start getting better.  I can't remember the last time I "enjoyed" such symptoms.  It was like getting hit by a truck!  Looks like I will not be taking down the tree this afternoon after all....  Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

That ice is something else! I have never tried hot water but then I live in Minnesota...we just leave our vehicles run a long time until the windshield defrosts!
Yes that cold stuff is miserable. I am on day 8 and feeling better, I do not have a cough...my husband does. Mine was mainly a head cold. Today a nurse said the cough lasts a month or more.
get well soon...the tree will wait!

Val Ewing said...

I recall friends of mine at the CrossFit gym who were out with weeks from the January Bug, they said it was horrible. These are folks like you who exercise and are in fantastic shape.
I didn't get the bug then and right now I am doing okay.
Wow what a miserable time it must have been!

Hubby has severe COPD and other health issues, that is why I fret.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails