Sunday, January 5, 2020

Replacing The Cat On The Subaru

With all the posts about Silver Bullet Subaru and how the neighborhood cats seem to love him,   You may be thinking that this post will be about that...  But sadly,  it is not.

From Black to Black and White. 
Just how many "Cat" puns are out there?
The Catalytic converter went bad somewhere between Christmas and  the New Years Day Dash.   Subie showed no signs of distress, other than a new code coming up on the reader.   We decided to have it checked out and the good fellows at Central Auto were trying to find  the problem.  They said the O2 sensor was fine, and that the Cat might be the problem.   Every time they turned on the A/C,  the code would trip...  How can the A/C effect the O2 sensor? 
New Cooling Fan.

Turns out, in addition to the Catalytic converter being bad,   there was an Exhaust fan that had burned out.   We had that replaced as well. 

We got the Catalytic Converter replaced after Cheryl Ran the Chicago Marathon.  Turns out,  That was 90,000 miles ago!   I guess having a Cat last that long is something to be proud of.  Perhaps they last longer in newer vehicles,  but I bet they cost a lot more.

You'll never find the Small Leak
in the Emissions system...  Hahah!
The Small Vacuum  Leak in the Emissions system is still a ghost to be found, but it does not effect the Subie's Performance, so it is an annoyance we deal with and tolerate.   The annoyance comes from the "Check Engine" light coming on all the time and it masks "Real" problems like the 02 sensor and the Catalytic Converter going bad.   I regularly check and clear  the "small leak" code every week.  That is how we were able to catch this problem right away.

And...Another one. 

Good thing I left it to the Pros!  This time....
As much as I love to work on Subie,  There are things I simply can not do.   And with the weather being cold and windy this time of year,  I'm more than happy to leave things to the professionals.  (Other than the hit to the pocket book!)

Nice to Know I can still
Upset the Greenies with a Subaru!




So Subie Soldiers onward!   With a New Catalytic Converter in place, he can now save the Polar bears right here from Wellman, Iowa!
"Thanks for saving me..  Now I'm
gonna Eat you!"




Fixing the Subaru AND saving the planet not only makes me feel better at night,  I also feel MORE virtuous than the Ford and Chevy Truck people around here.   Unless I get attacked by a Polar Bear someday....

2 comments:

L. D. said...

Those lights popping on can be important or it can mean I bought bad gas at Casey's. I had a van that did light warnings, usually when we were heading out on a long trip.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We had a Nissan Truck the check engine light was always going on, they never could find a problem so we kept resetting it by disconnecting the battery:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails