Friday, August 7, 2020

The End Of Blackberries.

The tail end of the Black berries. 
Well...Not the "forever" end.... Just for the season.   Cheryl and I picked a few several days ago, and the quality of the berries has diminished substantially.    If they are not completely dried out,  then they are either over-ripe, or just too small to bother caring about. 
Barely enough to cover the bottom of
the pail. 

They are still tasty though.  If you can get past the seeds,  the flavor is much sweeter than earlier versions.  But that being said, I think Cheryl and I picked as many as we could during their "peak".  (5 lbs on one occasion!) We have a freezer overflowing with them, and several other berry types.  And already Cheryl is thinking about Apple Pie as the summer winds down and Fall begins.

Watermelon is just coming out. 

Not like the watermelon from the store
that tastes like cucumber. 
We still have yet to slice up an Iowa Amish Watermelon.  ( The Amish grower near Kalona has the sweetest watermelons!  Nothing like the ones you buy in the store.  i.e. CUCUMBER FLAVORED!)


LOTS of green tomatoes.
Green Tomatoes. 
And our Tomatoes are certainly taking their time ripening.  We have many on the plants currently, but they are all remaining green.  Cheryl predicted that first tomato would have ripened before this week is over.  Looks like she has one more day before that Prediction is a bust.

Hops!  Growing up my
string ladder
Description!   So the landlord
will not cut them down. 
And did I mention that we have a Hops vine growing next to our building?   I wired up a bunch of climbing strings so it can grow nice and tall.  I hope that it will get to the roof before it begins producing cones.   Fingers crossed that it would be productive its first year.   As for the Hops on the Trail,  they look like they should be producing soon.    I have big plans on harvesting them this year.

What is this? 
Looks like the Cones are farming! 
Looks like they are even forming cones already!   If this is the version that grows wild long the trail,  the Hops will taste like a bitter pine flavor.   (Awesome IPA material!) I think the Pine flavored Hop is my favorite, although I do appreciate the "Strong Grapefruit" flavors as well.

And lastly,  Tomorrow is my Birthday.  I shall be writing my obit....I mean, blog post in my head as we head out to Muscatine for a ride/run and some Tee's Ice Cream!  Then again, I may skip the Ice cream this time, since we can't eat it inside and it will melt as I enjoy my hamburger in the drive through.  Plus!   I don't really need the calories. 

Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails