Friday, October 23, 2020

From Hot To Cold! Ground Cherries In The Wind And Rain.

 Last night,  a cold front moved in and dropped the temps 30 degrees!  An addition, it brought a cold rain and a high, gusty wind along with it.  The combination forced us to make a command decision to limit the mileage for the run/bike this morning.  

To be fair,  we have not had a day off  for almost 2 weeks.  ( 10 days!)  And Cheryl hates scheduling an "off day" on a "nice day" for running.   So it fits that we finally have a day off on a bad running weather day.  If that makes sense. 

But one of the reasons we wanted to get out there was to find more of those ground cherries.   Cheryl read that they are good for you in all of those "naturally found and foraged super foods" ways.  By the way,  the same book says that the ENTIRE PLANT is toxic...  except for the fruit hidden in the husk.  Similar to Mushrooms, I reckon. 

So,  we braved the first mile of the trail to find a few of the cherries to bring home.   There are other fruiting "things" out there that are red and yellow. ( similar to the cherries...)  But are also "toxic".  We think the yellow ones are Horse Nettle...   which is toxic, I guess.   Toxic as in "belly ache?"   or toxic as in DEATH TO ALL!"   The book is unclear. 

Add caption


 
Add caption
At least Mushrooms have a hint in the name... Like Destroying Angel,  Death Cap, Deadly Webcap,    Names that most people might remember....


At home, I set out to separating the cherries from the husks.   Many of the cherries were either too small or too old.   Some are still green, but I think they are ripe enough to eat.   We had some yesterday and in addition to still being alive,  we found them to be quite sweet and tasty.  I'm sure Cheryl will be snacking on them later today. 


As for me,  the colder weather has triggered me into breaking out the crock pot and warming up some beef vegetable soup...  with LOTS of mushrooms mixed in.   I love having a BOUNY of mushrooms that I can freely add to just about everything we eat.   Eating hot soup on a cold day is just that much more satisfying.  Especially when you were able to add all that foraged mushroom goodness to the mix.  

Stockings are picking up and we are beginning to feel the heat a little.  9 stockings today and a number of "Show and Tells" to potential customers.   I finally am done with the work that pays the bills and can now begin on the work that costs me money to do....  i.e Hobbies!   I'm not sure which hobby I should waste my time and money on now that chalk drawing is off the table.  Perhaps I will try to fold something.    Sometimes I miss the paper folding, but I still have a bag full of origami I am unable to find homes for.   Perhaps I will find something else to distract me this afternoon.   We shall see.   Thanks for stopping in. 

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Soon you will probably get more snow:( Such pretty stockings:)

L. D. said...

It is stocking time again. I enjoy seeing them all. Does the freeze take out the mushrooms. I hope not.

Val Ewing said...

Looks like you have been busy!
The winds were a bit wicked yesterday but lucky me, I was able to run along a wooded gravel road so avoided most of the cold. The cold has made me start thinking about making a large pot of chili!
The stockings are lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails