Friday, October 30, 2020

We Finally Got The Big Bucks!

Our Trophy!

 For the past week,  we have had a number of deer encounters on the trail.   Often times, they are too far away from us to even bother with taking their picture.   But last Sunday,   Cheryl and I spooked a Huge Buck who bolted out right in front of us.   I could see he has his territory staked out, so I have been bringing my camera along and holding it at the ready for several days now.   All in the hopes of capturing another "up close and personal" shot of this awesome animal!

But....As you might have guessed:  Nothing.  No signs what so ever!   

However,  today on the way home,  we saw another huge buck right on the outskirts of Wellman,  just before we cross the river.   He was browsing in the river shed where the sheep and goats normally graze.  I handed the camera to Cheryl and she shot away.  

It is moments like this where I wish I had a better camera.   Sure,  carrying around an expensive, fragile heavy camera seems like something only a professional would risk doing;  But I would do it if I could capture a better photo for the blog!  And I'm sure I would find other reasons to justify the expense.    Even so,   the Android phone camera is handy to have in a pinch.   And I might have missed it all together if I had to lug a huge expensive phone out on a normal run day. 


He was nice enough to hold still for us.    Something most deer, especially Bucks during Hunting season rarely do.     I told Cheryl to snap several pics in rapid succession so I could make a moving GIF of him. 

Looks like the Bigger Buck is chasing him.

And just about when we were about to leave,  another BIGGER BUCK came out after him.   We did not see if they were going to fight or just trot off together.   I have read that sometimes bucks travel together in groups.  It certainly did not look like the smaller one wanted any trouble from the big one.   they both ran into the thicker wooded area so taking any more pics would be impossible. 


I no longer hunt deer like the "Good old days" of my youth.   I really don't want to kill anything any more anyway.  Does that mean I'm getting old?   Maybe.  I know Dad used to say that all the time and I simply could not believe that.  He would tell us stories of him hunting pheasants and rabbits and deer up in northern Michigan and how he never missed a season.   But as he got older,   getting the big Buck no longer held the same desire it once had.  

Besides,   There are no licenses required to take their picture.  No processing fees if you manage to bag one.  And no Farmers are going to kick you off their land if he deer decided to jump a fence. And I probably would not know what to do with all that meat if I did manage to actually get a deer.  

I never was a very good hunter to begin with.   Sure, I woke up early,  read all I could on all the skills and tactics.  But in all those years, I managed to only get one when I was 15.  And I was convinced I missed it and it dies of fright!  But that story should be for blog post on another day.   In the mean time,   The weekend is Approaching and I can hardly believe it is here already.   Hope everyone is having a great Friday and an awesome weekend.  Thanks for stopping in. 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good shots at the deer! We rarely see bucks here...just does and fawns. I hunt with my camera but we both used to hunt! Shooting a deer is lots of work...my brother will bring me a few jars of meat...I am happy with that! WE used to hunt to get out in the woods...now we live in the woods:)

Val Ewing said...

Awesome shots of the deer! Your camera in hand is the best to have along! No kidding. No way I'd have pulled out the larger camera and have caught that.
My best shots of deer are on my trail camera. No work involved there, just figuring out where to put it.
I've never hunted a white tail. I can't sit still long. Another reason I am no Wild Life photographer.
Have a great weekend. Looks like the weather was perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails