Thursday, January 21, 2021

An Allenbrite Road Trip.

Road trips are such a clich'e.   I guess if you just want to go for a Sunday drive out it the country, that is not a road trip.   And if you actually have a destination, that is also NOT a road trip.  


So what is it?   My definition:   Using an automobile ( like a Subaru!)  specifically for a journey of discovery.   Usually of one's own spirit or meaning.   


Since when has Subaru replaced the VW bus?

Ok, THAT sounds like a bunch of hippie hokus.  Self discovery? "Life Journey?"  SUBARU!!??  Seriously, how did the Hippies hijack the Subaru as their vehicle of choice?   It's not electric or "green".   It is not a death trap like the VW bus!  Subaru does not even claim any "spiritual guidance".   They simply make a car that is something you can love unconditionally.  And I would add... Subies love you back! 
Hmm.... Maybe that is it...   
 But I digress! 

That winding lead-in is meant to explain, vaguely,  how Cheryl and I ended up traveling to Mallard Iowa.   Yes! "Like the Duck!"   How,  or more specifically:  WHY?  Did we end up traveling to the distant and REMOTE area of Iowa that is the Upper Northwest corner of the state?   That is a good question for which we have no really good answer.   All I can say is:  "Discovery."   Perhaps a bit of information and research.    And we might as well throw in a decent helping of Wisdom while we are at it.   
Friendly Ducks!

For our travels and troubles,  I have very few pictures of the incident.   I will say that there is NOTHING of note worth taking a photo of.   That section of Iowa is FLAT!  Barren!  Wide-open and un-sheltered.   I don't know what people do up there for money... other than farming.   There were a few small manufacturing plants there.   The towns are all small.   The Stores are all Small-er! In the end,   we left that place having secured the knowledge that we do not need to revisit this area any time soon.  Don't get me wrong!  I'm sure the people are very nice.   Friendly, even.  But the area seems a little too remote and inhospitable for my taste. ( and I have been to Dead horse, Alaska!)  

On the way back ( it was a 4 hour trip just to get there!), the Sun had set and the dark horizon blinked with Christmas tree color.   It took a while to figure out what all of those lights were in the distance.  Turns out,  they are from the Windmill farms scattered along highway 80 between Des Moines and Iowa City.  Trying to capture the scene in the dim light was a challenge.   But hopefully,  the animation will show off some of the splendor.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not much else happening today.   We washed the Subaru.   Wiped all of that salt and road grime away for the moment.   I barely got it toweled off before Rocket went out there to attempt to muddy it up with his paws.  He already tagged the neighbor's car with his paw prints.  I managed to keep him off of Subie... for now.  

Proof Rocket was here!

I will most likely spend the rest of the day uploading videos to the Rumble account.  It is something to do, after all.  And it costs no money!  Something I always find agreeable.  Hope everyone is enjoying this wonderfully sunny day.  Highs are in the mid 40's here.   I hear that will change tomorrow, so enjoy it while you can.   Thanks for stopping in.



3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

You should travel to my area of WI [SW] this summer and Cheryl could en)joy 9 miles of a nice trail for bikes, runners, hikers. Well, 9 miles to one end and back!
I went back to the Outback after having a Crosstrek for a few years. My intentions are exactly that ... Road trip with the 'Ru and Charlie. A sleeping mattress in the back and an open road.
My excuse to go larger was hauling a wheel chair/walker and MIL and hubby all at once to appointments and stores.
My biggest desire has been to take off and see the rest of my state.
:)
I've been to most places in Iowa and Northern Missouri.
Love the Subie!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Well you all got out of the house! I think I get to go recycle tomorrow!!! Yipee...I am sending cold weather your way...grab your hats and heavy coats:)

L. D. said...

My trip to Hy Vee yesterday was a strange one as we had not been in the car for seven days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails