Tuesday, December 28, 2021

"The Zakoseks Come To Wellman!"

Pam and Mike arrive!

 Like "Mr. Smith goes to Washington"  Only in Iowa.   And without all the Political satire.  That is right,  yesterday,  Pam and Mike decided to come to "No Where" Iowa to run  along the river with Cheryl, as I tagged along.  I guess technically, Pam rode her bike as well, so I was not the only one riding.   But 7 miles in the "cool, but not so cold."   Was all that was required to have everyone feel like it was a victory.  

After the run, they came over for some "Cheryl is Awesome"   time (Translation: "Look at my medals!") and  so they could meet the cats.  Mostly just Rocket, who was the only one willing to meet and greet strangers at our small hovel.  Hiro mostly hid under the bed until the threat went away.  

It was nice.   It will replace the Wednesday Long Run meet up since we have plans to head that way for New Years. 

A Giant After-run Donut!

Our original plans were to visit with them on New years eve and then head to Madison for the New Year's Day Dash!   I think the plans might have changed, as recently as this morning, in fact.   Especially when we were greeted with this gift from Nature...

Freezing rain today
Ice covers everything.

Ice!  Or more accurately:  Freezing rain.   Freezing rain is not good for anybody!  Not even Silver Bullet Subie!  All wheel drive and traction can not help you on a frictionless surface.  So that might have been a key component.

Cheryl clears off the Subie

And then there was the early wake up call. After an evening of  Old Year Reflection,  there was a chance we were not going to be in the mood for an early departure, long journey, and cold race.  Normally, we would travel to Madison on New Year's Eve and hang out in the Hotel just above the race start line.   But with alternative lodging plans, that simple plan becomes more complex. 

Besides,   Mike suggested that we run around Clinton Iowa along their section of the Mississippi river. Possibly even run farther than 5 miles.  I could even bring my bike to tag along!   That definitely had my vote. 

So,  long early dangerous travel to a distant state and city just to run 5 miles?   OR  sleep in, enjoy a warm breakfast, and run a long run along the Mississippi with me on a bike.   Sounds so much better!

Cheryl says I made it happen with my mind powers.    I guess I can take credit.  I was not in the Mood to travel in the ice and snow with Subie anyway.   I remember one race where we were coming home from Wisconsin and the snow dumped on us.   I was on blind country, unplowed coutry roads and even with Subie as my trusty steed, I was white knuckling it the entire trip.   I'm never eager to repeat that scenario. 

8 Stockings!  After Christmas Sales continue...

8 Stockings today!   With the frozen rain, we chose to stay home and complete them before noon.   As I write this,  the temps have risen slightly to 35 degrees and the ice is beginning to melt.   Colder temps are forcasted for the near future, so hopefully things will dry off before the chill hits us.  

Thanks for stopping in!  Hope everyone had a Wonderful Christmas.   Not many people, including myself,  blogged on Christmas, but that's all good.   No need to report everything on a day of rest and celebration.   If you live south of Wisconsin,  we were lucky enough to have a green Christmas.   But I'm sure that won't last.  We are Certainly looking forward to the New year.  

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to have other folks to run/ride with! Happy New year!

Val Ewing said...

Yesterday was madness anywhere on our roads. Stay home was the mantra. I didn't mind it because I didn't drive in it.

In fact the plumber's company decided to only stick to town roads so we didn't get our sink fixed. That's fine.

I want people to be safe.

Enjoy a fun run!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails