Monday, December 6, 2021

Windy Day in Iowa. Cheryl runs.

I take great pride in my ability to post blog entries anytime during Stocking Season.  Especially after we complete another Full day of 30+ stockings.   And while the subject is usually about "how many stockings we did"  I try my best to make it somewhat entertaining for the readers.    No small task!  Especially when we are exhausted from sewing into the evening hours. 

But all I hear from Cheryl is how I have not posted anything about her, or her running lately.   Talk about self centered!  

Having a little trouble with my jacket..

Well, today was the perfect opportunity to post  something about her running.    We ran 4 miles again, but this time it was in the Gusty freezing winds.   The Gales of November are a few weeks late this year.   

I know I have posted "Windy Day " entries in the past.  They are pretty much all the same:  "It was Very Windy in Iowa...."  And today was no different.   About half way around the lake, I did not need to pedal, as  the wind was to our backs and blowing me fast enough to keep up without any  effort on my part.  

But then we turned around.    And MY FACE froze off!  I was very thankful that we only went 4 miles and not  2 that Cheryl promised.  That would have been merciful from a person with a death wish.  

And that got me to thinking.   Cheryl is actually only one bad life event from becoming an Ultra runner. For those not in the know,  Ultra Runners are people who run further than a Marathon.  Usually starting at 30 miles and working their way up well past 100 miles in a single race/run. Ultimately, their goal is to run until they die, but they sign up for races that keep them just short from doing that.  They might  look very healthy on the outside, but are seriously damaged on the inside. 

The problem is I end up tagging along for the ride.  And Blogging about it!  Does that make me an accomplice? Does that make me a bad person?  

Eh, Probably.   I don't care too much as long as I get some pizza afterwords. 

Try saying that five times fast.

27 stockings tonight.  There were other thing I'm sure I was supposed to mention, but have since forgotten them because I had to dedicate this blog post to the Runner in the family.   Happy Trails,  Miss Wind Walker!  ( Or Wind Runner!)   That sounds perfectly cryptic...  But I like it. 

 Oh!  And Cheryl finally got her Trophy from the Des Moines 5 mile run.   She now has enough beer glasses  and coffee mugs to open up her own bar!    A Win Win, because she will be able to show off her achievements while saving money on glassware. 

Well,   Back to answering Questions on Etsy.  My day is still not over,   I think Cheryl just finished the last custom order, so she is off for the rest of the night.  Lucky her.   

Snow tomorrow?  Possibly a little in the air.  I won't be too bad as long as the wind dies down a bit.   That wind chill is killer on the bike.    Thanks for stopping in and I hope everyone is staying warm and cozy on this day. 


2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is windy everyday here. They have a saying...sunny day but at least it's windy...snowy day at least it's windy...you get the picture! Glassware, trophies and medals Cheryl is raking it in! Hope the stocking orders keep coming in:)

Val Ewing said...

My son did ultras for a while and I was lucky/unlucky to be his crew at one of them. Talk about Grumpy!
I think he enjoyed being able to travel to odd places to do those races. One of those places ... I think was in Michigan? They went to an island and ran. I guess it was brutal.
Looks like you are crazy busy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails