Tuesday, February 8, 2022

And Finally.... 20 miles!

Cheryl completed the 20 mile long run.  And she ran it fairly fast for a training run. ( 8:09 mile per minute pace!)  If things hold, she could easily grind out another sub 3:30 marathon.   But that is still a ways away. 

Today the temps are warming up dramatically.   When we started, it was 24 degrees.   But by the end, it had climbed to 54 degrees and still rising!   This presented a challenge for both of us. How do you dress for this 35 degree fluctuation?  

Well,  I guess I was wrong from the get go.   I wore my snow pants, lined vest and Goretex jacket.  I was overheating before mile 3!  Add in that my bike seat kept sliding down making me work extra hard to pedal the bike and I was already beginning to lose my mind.   Cheryl thought I would bail on her, but I managed to pull myself out before any damage was caused.  

My bike seat slid down to the frame, making me look like one of those homeless people who rides  a little kid's bike.  (Knees in the chest... )  Eventually I got the post to stop sliding and stay put for the remaining 15 miles.   And I also removed my vest and snow pants when we swung by the car after mile 7.  Now, before you think I biked the rest of the run bottomless, I will have you know I wear bike tights under my snow pants.   And without the bike saddle, I doubt I would have been able to ride the bike bare butt-ed!  Butt-ed?  Is that a word?  Well,  it is now! (By the way... Naked Bike Riding IS a thing... You can look it up!  If you dare...)

Cheryl is getting better at her fueling spots.   She sectioned them out every 5 miles this time.   It seemed to work as she only felt light-headed a little after mile 10.  

As for me,   After fixing the seat, removing the extra clothes, and watering the park flowers by the soccer field, I felt much better!  That lasted almost the entire ride, until I had to get off the bike to put it on the Subie.   Then, my ass, arms, knees, and neck all screamed in pain at the same time.  Lovely!  At moments like this, I doubt I will ever attempt RAGBRAI in Iowa. (50-70 miles a day for 7 days!) 

Well, Success!   We completed a long run and Cheryl only snapped at me near the end.  (That is how you know the Long run is working....) We finished up with pizza and drinks and will remain on the couch for the next several days. Currently, it is taking all of my energy to type this post up for future generations to understand the concept of pain, struggle, old age, and world domination.  And the heroic efforts take for the narrator to record historic events. (History is important!) 

With the warming weather over the next couple days, I'm thinking the snow will not last long.   I won't miss it.  Nor will I miss the cold.   Running in 50 degrees is wonderful if you are dressed appropriately!   Even if there is a little rain!  ( That does not mean I want rain either... just sayin'....) 

Hope everyone is staying warm and enjoying the sunshine.  Tomorrow may be a good day to give Subie a bath.  All that salt and grime and freezing temps have kept him looking shabby.   As for us,   Cheryl says that tomorrow may be a full recovery day with no running.   We shall see if she really means it.   Thanks for stopping in.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Wonderful that you got good weather for the run!

It was nice here too but not that warm, good enough though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails