Thursday, August 4, 2022

Mid Week Mushrooms!

Kind of a busy week this week, but I did manage to find a few mushrooms and we were able to enjoy them with Brussels Sprouts and  Pork Chops.   Everyone was a fan.  Including Christina. ( remember Christina?  From the Chalk Festival Post....)   In addition to finding a number of fine edible ones, I also found some False Saffron Milk Caps and a couple Scarlet Waxycaps.   (Very pretty mushrooms)  We didn't eat the Ganoderma ( Artist Bracket) because it is too tough and probably does not taste good.  I read that Scarlet Waxy caps are edible, but not very tasty.   Hey!  At least they won't kill you.  

And besides... Wouldn't you rather just take their pretty picture than harvest them for food?  ( unless you are me... harvesting them just to show off to your friends....) 

I also went out today and found a handful of edibles.  A few Chanterelles,  a nice fresh bay Bolete, and a few Brittle gills. ( Russulas)  I got every color of Russula except the green one.  ( Black, red, pink, and yellow...) All passed the taste test so I'm gonna eat em!  They were wonderful. 

I also ran into a woman and her dog.   The dog seemed friendly and we began to chat. ( Because guys walking off the path in the woods might seem a little odd without explanation...  And I wanted to pet the dog. ) 

As I was showing off my finds..... Complete with a History and Science lesson for each one,  The lady mentioned she just saw a huge orange mushroom growing on a log just down the path.  My ears Perked up!...  Chicken of the Woods?   Show me!

We retraced her steps and found the mushroom.  Unfortunately it was not Chicken of the Woods.... It was a Jack-O- Lantern... A very large and pretty  specimen of the species!  I took a few pictures,  Told her about the Toxicity and then babbled endlessly about how they glow in the dark, will give you a tummy ache and are the leading bad look-alike for many good and edible species.   She seemed interested.. so maybe I added another person to the mycologist field of study.....  It could happen!

That is all for this week.  Other than the heat and small rain squalls that sporadically happen,  there is not much else to blog about. Even Work is just a welcome way to pass the time.   I do like it though.  Who knew Warehouse duty could be so much fun?   

Thanks for stopping in.  Tomorrow will be my overtime day and then I get Saturday off.   I'm very much looking forward to it.  Have a great Weekend!

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Sounds like a productive week! The bonus would be finding mushrooms of all kinds.
I need to get out and browse about the woods and see what I can find.

Have a great weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails