Sunday, August 14, 2022

Mushroom Strike After The Rain.

A couple of rainy days here in Kenosha and the Mushrooms were Blooming!   Perhaps not as much as past seasons for me.. But still enough to get me excited for an hours hunt after work.   I managed to score a nice mess of Chanterelles.   For a while, I thought that would be the only mushroom I would find.   No Boletes,  No Russulas.   But then I found my first Green Cracking Russula.   It was so pretty and fresh, but I knew it would get damaged before making it home.   Still, I tossed it in the bag with the rest of my finds. it is edible, after all.....

I did not want to go overboard on the pictures today, but then I found a Coral Mushroom.  

And then a new cluster of the False Saffron Milkcaps.  

And then the MOTHER LODE of Coral mushrooms.   An entire log covered with them.   I collected everything that did not look too old and was very excited I had two of the best edible species of mushrooms to show off for dinner this evening. 

You see,  Dave was grilling up steaks for Dinner and wanted to add some mushrooms and onions to them as a topping.   We still had a few Chanterelles from the last hunt, but I wanted to add some fresh ones to the mix.  And possibly a few additional species as well.   

The Coral mushrooms added the texture of sprouts or rice noodles while the Chanterelles and Russulas added the flavor.  Everyone seemed to like them. Of course,  the steak probably played a big factor in that. 

Overall,  A great meal!  Fit for a King!   Meals are like that when you find your own food and enjoy it with friends and family.   A nice cap to a fine Sunday.   

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend this weekend.  I got to enjoy most of it by helping someone move and going to work.  (Sundays are always quiet at the warehouse... But the time passes quickly enough.)  The move was actually fun!  And I got to apply all of those old skills from the days of working for United and Allied Van lines.  Like riding a Bike.... You never forget!

The weather has cooled off a touch here in Wisconsin.  I feel the hint of Fall in the air.  Even a few of the trees have already begun to turn color.   My favorite time of year is on its way.   Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are a great mushroom hunter/identifier! I would pick and cook the wrong ones so I just get them at the grocery store!

Val Ewing said...

I think I found some of those mushrooms in our forest, but since I don't know my edibles from my non edibles, I just enjoyed viewing them.

I'm hoping to find some more and explore some more woodlands and forests that would have more cool fungi this week.

Great meals!
I love coral mushrooms to shoot.
I found some excellent white fungi that looked like jelly yesterday all over the forest floor!

Have a good week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails